High Contrast Gridded Terrain Mods

One of the things that bothered me about CM when I first started playing it was how very hard it was to visualize the terrain I was fighting on (I was later to find out that the terrain I was having the most problems with was Arid Open). In an effort to improve the basic game, I turned to CMMods.

The first thing I found was gridded terrain. That helped a lot, but wasn't exactly what I was looking for. Then I found GreenAsJade's High Contrast Mod and added my own grid to his tiles. This combination worked pretty well and overcame a lot of the limitions of the game engine.

However, as I was playing a game using the Gridded High Contrast Arid Open tiles, I noticed that almost all the "bends" in the terrain took place at 45 degree increments around the perimeter of the tile (the exceptions are when the terrain changes 2 or more levels in height).

So I added 1 pixel wide lines to the tiles at these "bend lines" and was extremely pleased with the results. It makes it easy for me at least to really visualize the terrain.

If you want to try this mod out, go to CMMods and search "By Designer" for RocketMan.

modaridopentopopicturerw6.jpg

Added files for Steppe, Open, Snow and Light Snow with thicker grid lines and tick marks every 5 meters. This series is named RM HC Topo Grid Thick.

If you want to try these mods out, go to CMMods and search "By Designer" for RocketMan.

[ April 22, 2007, 10:36 AM: Message edited by: Rocket-Man ]

• 3 weeks later...

Rocket-Man,

OK I now see that you already are aware of this problem and have mentioned it in the notes for RM-GaJ H/C Topo Grid Open at CMMODs. However, your suggested remedy of using RM-GaJ H/C Topo Grid Grass from the CMAK database (renumbering the grass files from bmp 1550-1569 (the grass bmp file numbers) to bmp 1570-1589 (the open bmp file numbers) and save the renumbered files in your CMBB bmp directory) did not fix the problem.

In fact, I am getting the same turquoise disclouration I got with the original mod. :confused:

bluepeaks2.bmp

Lt Bull

[ May 17, 2007, 11:04 PM: Message edited by: Lt Bull ]