"Mapping Mission" question

I am trying out the Mapping Mission program for use with some of the maps found here (Ukraine, Caucusus, Crimea):

http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/EART/soviet_maps.html

I am having a problem importing these maps into a "background" image that I can write the MM/CMBB data over. In the Read Me enclosed with the program it seems possible, but I can't seem to get it to work.

Anyone had some luck with this? If so, would you mind giving me a step by step?

Originally posted by benpark:

I am trying out the Mapping Mission program for use with some of the maps found here (Ukraine, Caucusus, Crimea):

http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/EART/soviet_maps.html

I am having a problem importing these maps into a "background" image that I can write the MM/CMBB data over. In the Read Me enclosed with the program it seems possible, but I can't seem to get it to work.

Anyone had some luck with this? If so, would you mind giving me a step by step?

Hello !

I well know the website you're talking about : it's very nice but if you want more accurate maps (dating from WW2) try the "map" section of CMMC 2 web page smile.gif

About Mapping Mission in itself, in order to incorporate a map layer under the grid, please try this :

</font>

• Save your map picture in BMP format</font>
  • Find the true dimensions of the map in meters (use the informations about the picture size in Photoshop...) Generally, if you scan a topographic map (1:25000), one centimeter represents 250 meters. Your scanned pictures should keep the same dimensions as your original document. For the maps you've found on the Berkeley's site, look at the scale of each mapsheet : I think each square on the map represents 2 x 2 km)</font>
  • When you have the real dimensions of your map, divide it by 20, it will give you the number of tiles for the CM map. In Mapping Mission, you have to indicate this at the beginning... ;)</font>
  • When, on Mapping Mission, you've created a new map, use the selection tool and select the wole map with it. Then click on "Load underlay Bitmap" or so and find the BMP file of your map. It will put your BMP on your selection (in this case, all the map).</font>

Of course, please make sure that you have the good dimensions for the map ! The software, IIRC, will raise or down the BMP in order to fill your selection...

I have also a little question... : is it possible to use Mapping Mission to create CMBO maps (yes, CMBO) ? :confused:

Cheers !

As Bogdan says, you need to know the approximate area of the underlay map. The map also needs to be in .bmp format (any color depth should work, but if you have problems you might want to try 8-bit or 24-bit).

Create a MM map and specify a map size large enough to accomodate the underlay (it can be larger). Note that you can use the Set Map Size command to change the size of an existing map if you don't want to create a new one for some reason.

Then use the selection marquee tool to select an area of the MM map the same size as the area represented by the underlay. For example, if your bitmap represents an area 1km x 1km, you would want to select a square 50 tiles on a side. (If you select an area of a different size, the process should still work, but the underlay will be distorted, probably not what you want.)

Finally, use the Load underlay bitmap command and load your underlay. It should appear in the area you had selected.

Originally posted by Bogdan:

I have also a little question... : is it possible to use Mapping Mission to create CMBO maps (yes, CMBO) ? :confused:

Cheers !

Not at present. The issue is the different terrain tiles available in CMBO. I'll need to build a new terrain palette, and change some of the export logic. Once I'm satisfied that MM is feature-complete I may see if I can do that without too much trouble.

Actually, you might be able to use it now with a bit of care. The problem areas are going to be tiles that exist in CMBB that don't exist in CMBO, like shacks and shallow fords. Also steppe, soft ground. Probably a few others, too -- I don't recall offhand.

Wait -- I take that back. Right now MM checks to see if CMBB is running before export; CMBO won't pass the test. That should be relatively easy to add support for, though. So the answer is "not now, but perhaps soon."

Thank you, Leland, for your post ! You know, Mapping Mission is a VERY usefull tool to create historical maps, and I would love to edit a Normandy scenario with all my 1:25000 topographical maps... ;)

For now, I create maps of my area and edit them in CMBB. It is funny to see T-34s burning in this CMBB village which represent the place I visited last WE, but here, near the River Seine, there were english and american bridgehead against retreating german troops in summer 1944... :rolleyes:

So it would be nice to recreate an historical campaign between 79 US ID and 3/503 s.Pz.Abt... Actually, the sector I want to edit is to large and to difficult to be created in the CMBO editor.

Thank you again for MM !

Best regards.