Cromwell VIIIs firing HE at armor?!?

I am playing a CM:BO PBEM game with an opponent at the Blitz. So far, my Cromwell VIIIs have managed to kill a Heavy AC and put hits on a JPz-IV(70) and a Hetzer. The IV(70) and the Hetzer still live. I think this is in large part due to the fact that so far, the Cromwells have only fired HE shells at them! Now, I'm thinking if I were facing these last two behemoths, I would want to use ammo that gave me the best chance at a penetration. Instead, they insist on firing HE. They are scoring hits because I maneuvered for shots at less than 300 meters. But is there a reason they won't fire the © ammo? Is it because the computation says it can't score a knock-out with it and is therefore "saving it" for the sure kill that may never come? Or is my game messed up?

And now more from the WTF front. The same Cromwell that refused to fire AP ammo was successfully moved out of LOS of the Hetzer. It then came to a complete halt as ordered in a nice, safe, hull down position. And stayed there for about 15 seconds. Then, inexpliciably, without being targetted or threatened in any way, without even being in LOS of another enemy unit, it began to drive around in circles right in plain view of the Hetzer! Needless to say it is now dead. Thank God CM:BB is on the way.

CMBB won't necessarily save your from tank crews gone mad. I was just gloriously taking a StuG IIIB on a flanking mission right into the thick of the enemy infantry, hoping I could rout the Soviets w/ the StuG's cannister shells. After being shocked (heh) the StuG then ignored my orders the next turn and went charging AHEAD even further forward, well away from my other troops, and it was ultimately killed by a squad's molotov (I think).

As for the Cromwell VIII, it doesn't surprise me that it won't fire the C ammo as often as you'd like. They don't use them unless they've already bracketed in an armored target w/ a few HE shells... I guess those are just hitting for you. Smart crew... they don't want to leave themselves defenseless by wasting C on low% shots.

CMBB is much worse in this regard. Just look at any automatically plotted movement path, e.g. around roadblocks or on traffic jams.

As for the HC shots, same issues as with tungsteen: the AFV will only shoot it if it is reasonably sue to hit. Often, they fire less precious ammo first to get the range and only then fire T or HC.

Originally posted by redwolf:

CMBB is much worse in this regard. Just look at any automatically plotted movement path, e.g. around roadblocks or on traffic jams.

Come on redwolf, by your own admission elsewhere you don't even play CMBB anymore, yet you insist the TacAI is somehow *worse* than CMBO in replotting movement paths? I will let you in on something, it is no different at all; you don't know what you are talking about. Because of the inherent delays in CMBB when plotting multiple waypoints, I always plot one, period. Then when the vehicle approaches an obstacle and the TacAI replots I simply adjust them as necessary next turn, hardly a big deal.

Regards traffic jams, take a browse through Cooper's "Death Traps". Despite the excellent organization and traffic control, any large, planned vehicular movement was plagued by innumerable stops/starts, snafus and screw-ups. Hardly like a 'well-oiled' machine.

Regards the use of HC and Tungsten, they were notoriously inaccurate at any sort of range. While that may not be specifically modelled, the fact that you need to close the range in order for the TacAI to use it, is, so with that in mind you need to get closer than 300m generally for HC to be used consistently. Though to be fair I have seen them used at greater ranges also.

Ron

Ron, funny you should mention 300m. I was under 300 meters when the Cromwell nailed the Hetzer with the inefectual HE. The range is exactly WHY I was surprised it didn't fire a © round. I believe it was 287m to be exact. But all this was totally overshadowed by the phantom movement of the Cromwell that died. As I said, movement plotted to a stop. No enemy with LOS to it. Then it bolts off on it's own for no reason. Still very, very odd.

Originally posted by Ron:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by redwolf:

Come on redwolf, by your own admission elsewhere you don't even play CMBB anymore, yet you insist the TacAI is somehow *worse* than CMBO in replotting movement paths? I will let you in on something, it is no different at all; you don't know what you are talking about.

</font>

Man, disregard this thread from my end. In the last 3 turns or so, I have seen so many bone-headed maneuvers by the AI that I have no come to the conclussion that I had either forgotten or just never realized how truly pathetic the AI is in CM:BO. It is horrible! If real commanders made the moves that the AI has over-riding my orders, the court martial dockets would be filled for months. I can only pray that it's better in CM:BB. Because the AI in CM:BO is akin to manning your armor with mentally handicapped Peruvian Tree Monkeys.

Possibly the gun was loaded with an HE round so they fired it instead of reloading the gun with a HEAT round....On the other hand the takAI fires HE rounds until they score a hit and then fires the more precious HEAT rounds so they won´t be wasted...

oi !