Reloading time

After I almost lost a fight with my King Tigers against Soviet IS2s, I was curious to investigate about reloading time. I almost lost because in a pure tank fighting the winner is who reloads the gun faster. Sometimes I was faster, but sometimes not. :(

Anyway, after that battle, I set up a test scenario, where I have two King Tigers on one side and two IS2 on the other. The landscape is farmland with a straight road across and gentle hills. I made three experiments with green, regular and elite crews for the King Tigers. IS2 crews were always regulars, but they worked only as targets.

Green crews reloaded in 12 to 15 seconds

Regular crews in 10 to 13 sec

Elite crews in 7 to 8 sec

What is clear (and it was almost obvious) is that reloading time is inversely related to experience. Higher experience = less time.

There is indeed not so much difference between a green and a regular crew, but I have to say that I used only 20 reloading intervals as samples for this experiments. The more samples are used, the more accurates would be the statistics. And I suspect that reloading time is not simply related to experience, so I am curious to know if there are other factors and which ones: number of crew members, morale, combat situation, perhaps? For example, a tank facing infantry will reload HE shells in the same time it reloads AP shells when facing another tank? (I mean, in the second case the crew fights for its life).

I hope this topic can be of general interest, I couldn't find anything similar in the forum, apart one on artillery.

Cheers

Nicdain

There's 'game' reload rates and 'real-life' reload rates.

In real life U.S. Sherman crews in particular - though it could apply to other experienced tank crews - were known for very fast initial reaction times and a 'quickdraw' ability to put three shots in the air in an amazingly short amount of time. After the ready rack gets emptied then things get more complicated. Rounds have to be pulled from bins or floor storage, considerably slowing the reload rate.

The big gun tanks have another problem. Tiger crews were known to occassionally have loaders faint from exhaustion while manhandling the heavy rounds in the cramped fighting compartment. Once again after the first dozen or so rounds reload rates should drop drastically.

None of this is replicated in the game.

For the game I've an got anecdotal (no actual testing done) account of a tank's ROF being lower when peering at an enemy through scattered trees. Perhaps the target contact was only intermittant. ROF seems to be unaffected by targt type - whether building, tank, or infantry in open ground.