What to read after the game manual ?

Hello!

I just bought CMBB two days ago. It's my first tactical wargame ever played. Not too much knowledge about WW2 stuff either.

What would you recommend me to read after the manual ? I found a lot of good posts on the forum with some valuable information, but I'd prefer something like the CMBO strategy guide " http://www.chema-cagi.com/combatmission/docs/TIPSRever/Help%20and%20Tips/index.html"

I don't know which parts of that strategy guide can be worth for playing CMBB instead of CMBO, so if someone could help with that point ...

Or point me to a CMBB strategy guide.

Thanks a lot in advance.

S

The Cmbb strategy guide does exist and will be available at the Battlefront.com website any day now. It is currently backordered. They (BAttlefront) recently posted a bibliography on their website also. I would recommend some books to you but I have no idea if you want personal accounts or tactical how to's. Check the tips and tricks forum for a cmbb or cmbo f.a.q.(frequently asked questions). I hope this helps you.

Bodman

If you don't feel like spending any money, use the forum's search function to look up posts in the "Tips and Tricks" section by member #5490 since the beginning of the year.

Also, the links here are helpful even though the discussions all relate to CMBO.

To help get in the mood, this site may be of interest, and perhaps this one, as well. I'm sure someone can suggest similar sites for the Axis, as well.

Hello all! -- this is my first post! smile.gif SolarFire, i actually have the same query as you do and so thanks bodman and Specs for your comments!!

Let me just add that since I too am looking for a CMBB guide like the one that was done by Reverendo for CMBO (the link you quoted) but can't find one, the next best thing to do in my opinion is to simply rummage through the various posts here, as i find them to be a treasure trove of information. I've been lurking at this website for a couple of weeks now (and registered myself here only a couple of days ago) and I must say that without the info I am getting here, climbing that learning curve would have been much tougher!

Keep on reading and good luck on your CMBB gaming!

MK

If you want a real boost for your tactical thinking, then the book "Armor Attacks" by John F. Antal is perfect. It is a $20 book which is organzied as an "interactive" semi-game. You make decisions and the books flows based on your decisions.

The tactical lessons to be drawn from the book are excellent. I found practially all lessons to apply for WW2 combat, althought the book is about modern war.

Note that I don't like his two other similar books nearly as much. The company one is decent, the infantry one bad, IMHO. But the armor one is brillant.

Battlefront has a few books for odering, I find the Infantry Tactic book moderatly usefull for CMBB, but highly interesting in a general sense.

My first read after the CMBB Manual was "Achtung Panzer!" by Guderian, and although it didn't offer any ground-breaking insight into my CMBB tactics lots of stuff still applys.

I think that's one of the best things about CMBB, actually. Because it's so realistic and open you can start reading real world tactics and they will apply very well to the game.

Originally posted by RSColonel_131st:

[QBI think that's one of the best things about CMBB, actually. Because it's so realistic and open you can start reading real world tactics and they will apply very well to the game. [/QB]

... amazing!! all the more will i fall in love with this game! tongue.gif ... am just wondering though, if cmbb is so realistic already as presently programmed, what would the improvements on combat mission 3 be? would they be more on the aesthetics, animation, etc., rather than on the game play and the a.i.? :rolleyes:

If you speak German and are into military history "Das Deutsche Reich und der der Zweite Weltkrieg" is THE book for the German side of things.

Published by "Militärgeschichtliches Forschungsamt" there are already 8 or 9 volumes out covering the timespan from the prewar years till the turn of fortunes in 1942/43.

Aside from military history it gives a lot of insight on how Nazism actually worked (constant bantering and inefficiency) and why the Germans simply had to lose.