Pz III vs T-34

Other than a side/rear shot does the pzIII have any chance against the t34?

In two pbem games they ca't seem to knock out the t34 from the front at any range. I have some success with side shots but once the t34 spots my III, I am toast!

[ January 24, 2006, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: chiavarm ]

Which PzIII ?

The later ones with the better armor and the 50mm L/60 (I think) are actually quite a close match for a T-34.

In a direct frontal duel they have about the same chance of scoring a penetrating hit. The PzIII will get more hits (especially over 500m) but less of them will be lethal, while the T-34 will get less but more dangerous hits.

The key is to achieve many against one situations here. If you get a lot of non-penetrating hits, the T-34 will panic and freeze. That gives your PzIIIs the chance to strike a telling blow.

The same goes for T-34s against PzIIIs. Here you want a lot of shots to get a hit.

Hi, Chiavarm.

Two of the T-34s you've knocked out on the "Road to Moscow" were first killed by front turret penetrations. And, of course, your infantry did a number on the one I left parked next to the woods; (I gotta quit doing that). The others were side penetration kills, natch.

So, at least on these early T-34s, a front turret penetration is definitely possible. Maybe not the best odds, though. I'm starting to really like that "keewhraonnnng" sound of a shot bouncing off the front upper hull. . .

And don't you want to keep driving down the road to see what happened to the last T-34 you hit? Maybe you'll like what you see. Maybe you won't. Buuuwaahahahahahaha