T-44(late) or IS-3

My friend and I had a heated arguement over which peice of Soviet armor was superior in combat against german tanks. I stated that the 44 was far better in armored combat than the IS. he had some good points (which really just centered around armor thickness)that the Is has a more powerful 12omm while I claim that better mobility, with the combintion with a quicker firing, tungesten capable 80mm 44 would survive most german armor encounters? what do you all think?

They do 2 different jobs - the IS is a berakthrough tank, optimised to assault prepared positions, not to fight other tanks - its ammo loadout it soo small for that.

the T44 is a medium "all purpose" tank designed for mass production.

1:1 the IS has to be better - but how many T44's can you make for 10IS's?

When you NEED a 122mm gun no number of 85mm guns is goign to substitute, but if an 85mm gun is what you need then the 122 is a colossal waste of resource to do the job.

Lastly of course, the successors to the T44 are still being made......

reguardless, i still think the t-44 is a good overall tank. if i need a assault gun, id get it in the form of the SU series, not on a MBT. anyways pre 1944, i like the IS-1, iv had a few rounds where the IS-1 has taken alot of damage and still survived, one occasion it took six rounds, one from a panther at 120meters.