Taking out tanks with infantry..?

Ady

Ah, another thrown AT weapon thread. smile.gif Effective ranges of various weapons: RPG, AT mine, etc.:40m Molotov:(not really effective but..) 25-35m. Grenade, about same as molotov. Best way to use molotovs is to stop your target in your kill zone (shocking works great (sharpshooter)) then hit it with about five different molo-throwers at once. I.E. send a platoon after it and concentrate your FP.

Most have 30 meters, and normal hand grenades 40.

The most effective non-schreck infantry units are from my experience headquarters with normal hand grenades. The hand grenades are not as powerful, but the better player control over the unit, the longer range and the better "rate of throw" make up for it.

I haven't done a study of it, but I've found grenade bundles and demo charges to be pretty effective as well. Lost a flame KV to a grenade bundle from hidden infantry in rubble when the KV was supposed to be my uber-weapon, and it near broke my heart (thanks, Kingfish!) Sometimes you can get a clean kill with a single bundle/demo change and sometimes you just don't. A common sequence is to immobilize with the first hit and induce the crew to abandon with the second. Molotovs aren't frequently effective--in my experience-- against real tanks, but they can work against tankettes.

I guess the key point--already made--is that effective range is generally 30m. I still long for zooks/PIATs when I have the Allies (sigh. But you get to use these short range weapons in CMBB because sometimes the attacking infantry just can't advance and the tanks have to take over the lead role. (See Pillar's "Leading With Tanks" thread)