The HQ combat bonus and the ATG

I hadn't remembered seeing anything definite on this subject, so after checking the infantry effect, I threw some ATG's into the mix to see what came out.

Nothing earth shattering, but interesting.

The guns were 3 regular pak 40's. Each was in the command range of an HQ; one with +2 combat, one with +1 and one with no bonus. All other bonuses had been removed so that no other factor could "interfere".

At short range, the effect was slight. Range=200m approx.

No bonus - 82%

+1 " " - 86%

+2 " " - 90%

approximately a 5% increase per level of combat ability.

At medium range, the effect increases.

Range = 1000m approx.

No bonus - 32%

+1 " " - 35%

+2 " " - 42%

about a 10% increase from 0 to +1 and a 20% increase from +1 to +2.

At extreme range, the effect is "hidden".

No bonus - 6%

+1 " " - 5%

+2 " " - 9%

We have the first "weird" result. A drop from the zero to the +1 level. Unknown as to the reason, yet by the end of the turn, all three targets had been Ko'd. Decided to run shots vs wrecks to measure the percentage after aquistion. This brought the numbers back into line.

No bonus - 20%

+1 " " - 24%

+2 " " - 29%

This gives a 20% increase per level of combat bonus.

In this last test, those numbers appeared to be holding steady, indicating that this was the 'ceiling' to hit value for that range, no matter if hits were scored or not. Repeated firing was only done at the longest range, so no values were determined for repeat shots at either of the shorter ranges.

So, what does this say...

1. repeat shots increase percentage significantly, but there is a 'ceiling'.

2. expect about a 15% hit increase from the BASE to hit chance per level of combat bonus; in other words, if the base to hit at a certain range was 10%, then a +2 combat leader should have a 13% to hit.

What doesn't this say...

1. How fast does the aquisition climb to the 'ceiling'? The only way to determine would be to have the target be shot at only at the very end of a turn and then check the target to hit for the next turn and measure the increase from the known base value at that range. Very difficult to achieve in practice and would introduce the variable of movement in the target.

2. What is the effect on movement for both initial and subsequent shots? I don't feel like getting that involved. I am more of an Idea person, not an Action person....let someone else pick up this ball and run with it..

If this helps anyone, great. If it is something that was widely known, then the heck with it...

This will probably go into the dumper with the 'radio FO maintaining the target and time while riding a vehicle' thread that I did months ago....

Cheers and have a good night.

Originally posted by tabpub:

Yes, you were one of the 2 people that responded to it..I don't know if I should laugh, cry or just go drink some more..maybe all three at once!

You should definitely go with all 3.I'll stick to the last two.

[ July 09, 2003, 03:06 AM: Message edited by: nevermind ]

The zeroing in uses simple probability addition.

The second shot has a hit chance like two individual shots (so two shots have an overall chance like three), the third like three individual shots (so three shots have an overall chance like six).

Not counting the ceiling.

Originally posted by tabpub:

1. How fast does the aquisition climb to the 'ceiling'? The only way to determine would be to have the target be shot at only at the very end of a turn and then check the target to hit for the next turn and measure the increase from the known base value at that range. Very difficult to achieve in practice and would introduce the variable of movement in the target.

BTW, this is one more reason why I wish the LOS tool was functional during the action phase. Many's the time I've wanted to pause the action and see what range my troops were firing at and what the to-hit probabilities were (when applicable).

PS: Since I am the third person to respond to this thread, your to-hit percentage is improving, tadpub.

smile.gif

Michael