Approach to Sevastopol scenario-Problem with AI

I play this scenario(45 turns) as the Russian defending against the Werchmacht attack. As you know, the map is huge. But problem soon arises because the AI seemed to be not so intelligent. It moved very slowly. All of its armor was jam and packed together like a pack of mothballing armors.

Is this to be expected for the rest of the scenario. Have been playing CM since a long time. But this is the first time the AI is soo bad that i'm actually angry abt it.

Game patched to 1.03.

Originally posted by Michael Withstand:

I play this scenario(45 turns) as the Russian defending against the Werchmacht attack. As you know, the map is huge. But problem soon arises because the AI seemed to be not so intelligent. It moved very slowly. All of its armor was jam and packed together like a pack of mothballing armors.

Is this to be expected for the rest of the scenario. Have been playing CM since a long time. But this is the first time the AI is soo bad that i'm actually angry abt it.

Game patched to 1.03.

The AI doesn't perform very well when it's expected to attack. In this scenario, the Germans have a few towed guns which must be emplaced, which the AI never does properly, if it's done at all. Try playing as the attacker against the AI and you'll have more of a challenge. An even better idea would be to play against a human opponent. That's where the game truly shines, IMHO.

Playing against the AI is quite useful for learning how to use the CM system, but as you are finding out, it's not really designed for competitive play. It works better when the AI is on defense, but even in that role its moves become quite predictable. The way I see it is that CM is a two-player game that comes with an excellent one-person trainer. But if you really want to experience all that this system has to offer, you simply must go head-to-head against humans.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the scenario from the CD, right?

It has some pretty serious historical flaws, but that is another question than playability. I really think this scenario was designed for Axis vs. AI. (there was no 22nd Panzer at the Sevastopol battles, the designer probably got that confused with the 22nd Infantry (formerly 22nd Air Landing Division). Only very limited armor was present in the 41 or final 42 Sevastopol assaults (mostly assault gun detachments from the artillery).