what is a TRP?

It is a point that has been 'registered' by your guns. They have all done test firings and can hit that point by memory.

Offboard Artillery gets a MUCH smaller delay to fire within ~20m.

Onboard Artillery can fire without LOS or a spotter if it hasn't moved (which would make the settings necessary to hit that point different).

Guns get greater accuracy in the area of the target (not sure about movement on this one, I don't generally move my ATGs much).

Originally posted by Slappy:

Guns get greater accuracy in the area of the target (not sure about movement on this one, I don't generally move my ATGs much).

It's easy to forget this one, but this pre-sighting gives your guns 95-99% accuracy. They're said to be bore-sighted. It can be a great way to kill an enemy tank. A very good think is that the gun, because it's sure of a hit, will fire it's tungsten on the first round. I've nailed Tigers and King Tigers that way, Lots of fun.

[ January 20, 2003, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: CombinedArms ]

TRP's are invaluable, especially as the Russians with their intrinsically longer artillery delay times. Also, ATG pillboxes, which have an accuracy bonus to begin with, can really do some good work when coupled with a TRP.

Now, my question... why are TRP's are not available for an attacking or assaulting force in QB's? I imagine an attacking force would have pre-registered artillery targets, no? I recall reading about the assault on Sevastopol and virtually every major defense point had been pre-registered.

I understand TRP's not being available in ME's, and I could buy an argument that they don't belong in attacks (perhaps not enough time to accomplish this in the 'hasty attack' featured in CM?) But do you think an assaulting force should have pre-registered targets? I'm sure this has been discussed here at length and there are good reasons why TRP's are 'fortifications' and not, say, 'support' classified, where the inability to purchase fortifications as an attacker wouldn't preclude the purchase of TRP's. What's the scoop?