LOS problems during night-battles

I now that this has been discussed before, I tried to do a search but could not find the relevant threads. So here we go:

I think that this bug originates from CMBO. What happens is that if I identify an enemy AFV, and that said AFV retreats out of los, I will still continue to see it as long as it keeps moving. To be honest I have not seen this in CMBB, until yesterday, but I think that is more due to that I usually do not play nightbattles, just because they are problematic. But I must say that I was surprised to see it in CMBB. So I am just wondering if BFC are planning to fix this bug with the upcoming patch. I assume that they are aware of the problem, but that they have not fixed it for one or another reason. In my opinion, this bug is actually the only feature in CMBB which is plain broken.

Let me know if you want any files from me.

[ January 11, 2003, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: DrAlimantado ]

Maybe the sound of its tracks grating on the ground makes it easier to track, but as soon as that stops it's easy to forget where it is given all the distractions of the rest of the battle.

(By out of LOS, do you mean that it's just further away, and would be visible were it daylight -- or that it's moved behind an LOS-blocking obstacle?)

(Addendum: Human eyes are quite tuned to movement. Try walking outside at night; you'll notice moving things fairly readily compared to stationary hiding things.)

[ January 13, 2003, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: Mud ]

Actually, I consider this a feature, and not a bug. I haven't seen it as extreme as you describe it, though - I will usually maintain visual contact with the enemy AFV for some distance out of my LOS 'envelope', but not necessarily for the entire rest of the turn, even if the AFV continues to move. This effect also shows up in combat, although it's not as extreme - you will maintain sighting of an enemy unit's location and direction as it moves out of your LOS envelope for about 10-20m.

To me, this is perfectly logical. The human eye is much better at seeing movement than it is differentiating stationary objects, especially in low-light conditions. An infantry man might not be able to distinguish a Tank moving out in the middle of a field at 200m on a rainy night (though he might hear it), but if he watches that Tank drive past him at 50m and on into the field, I bet he can maintain sight of it's location and direction at a much greater distance than he would be able to spot the tank otherwise.

I haven't noticed, but it may be that CMBB allows you to maintain LOS at night to an AFV that goes behind a building or some other object that would creat a 'hard' LOS break. I would count this as a minor bug, but one I can live with as having a pretty minor effect on the overall course of the game.

Cheers,

YD

Originally posted by YankeeDog:

I would count this as a minor bug, but one I can live with as having a pretty minor effect on the overall course of the game.

Hmm ... this bug most probably sealed the coffin for poor Argie, in a 5 battle operation we have been pbem'ing. What happened was that a T34 of his retreated on a road into a forrest. Because of the bug, I saw the tank retreat, turn around, and try sneak out from behind the forrest, in order to attack some of my tanks in the back. The tank was some 200-300 meters away from my closest unit, and the los in the game is approx 50-70m.

I just watched some of the turns, and it seems like I will keep contact, maintain it, and regain it if lost, as long as I have one or more troops that are within hypothetical daylight los.

An official word would be nice.