Russian winter Mods needed

Anyone working on Russian winter mods? Particularly early war BTs and T-26s, BAs etc. I guess the Russian stuff gets modded last, seeing how many different mods of German AFVs that are now available. The T-34s, ISUs, SUs et al. have been covered but there is a shortage of guns, tankettes and other early war tin cans. Anybody doing anything here or would others like to chip in with their winter requests?

• 2 months later...

Tooz, Tooz, Tooz. The 4 BT's I did for you not enough? I'm looking into doing up some other early war Sov Vehicles like the BA-10, BA-20, T-38 & T-40. What do you want them to look like? I can easily make them somewhat similar to the BT's (I really liked the BT's I did for you.)

soviet_bt7m35.jpg

or is there something 'special' you want them to look like? In researching at battlefield.ru, i read that the Sovs DID paint the entire vehicle white with thickish paste/paint which then wore off, so all white vehicles do seem to be a possible reality.

T-34's: there are some by Scipio, but I couldn't find them anywhere by here, which doesn't have downloads and the links are outdated.

but there are a bunch of T-34's at cmmods, are they not good enough? They all look super good to me.

Zimorodok.

[ October 24, 2003, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: Zimorodok ]

Kingfisher, no, I didn't like the BTs...I LOVED THEM! :Dtongue.gif I especially liked the rusting hulk called the BT-2. They're so ugly (but that's good!)they are a joy to kill!

As far as what I want, well, I'll accept whatever is easiest for you. Any winter mod that fits in well in the frozen tundra of Russia is cool. I have always said that the main appeal of this game is the eye candy served up by you modders. I know you modders are really busy now with updating the cmmod database so I take what I can get, when I can get them. As a modder, I am sure that you like to experiment with different designs--great! I love the diversity.

The only specific requests I make depend on what op (I think ops are superior to battles) I am presently playing. Right now I am looking for winter SU-85s and Scout cars for the Russians and the yellow halftracks (which has been requested by others)for the Germans.

Perhaps other modsluts share my dream of a completely modded CMBB game. Yep, we're mod maniacs and proud of it!

So,whatever you serve up, I'll be the first to download and use. If you have WIP posted than I will be more than happy to provide feedback. Most of the time I just say "Cool! Looks great! Bring it!" :D

Now if there was only a way I could mail you some "Kingfisher" beers! ;)

Ok Tooz, I'll make a deal with you. I'll make up and send you the following:

BA-10, -20, -64, -64B, T-38 & T-40, M3 Scout Car, M5 Halftrack and M17 Halftrack & and the first version of the SU-85 (the second version covers the SU-100) in return, I want you to help me with the rarity tables. Yes, that's right, I want to put together some tables for the vehicle rarity, per unit, per nation, per month, etc.

If you accept this challenge, I'll email what I've done so far (just Tanks and Vehicles for Finland) and I'll ask you to do just one theatre, South, for Tanks and Vehicles. I've been thinking of adding on Support weapons, artillery, and fortifications, but just doing tanks was enough to make me cry. This is another tool I've been thinking of making up for a while; I'd ask the BTS folks, but they are undoubtedly busy.

Zimorodok.

[ October 25, 2003, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: Zimorodok ]

Kingfisher, I'll do my best, but I will have to ask my fellow CM buddies for some help. As you already know, I don't have my books with me here in the PRC (although one of my buddies is shipping a lot of CMAK related books to me presently) so I will have to rely upon websites and memory, I guess. I have asked my old ASL buddies at Multi-Man Publishing to ship me my rare Russian Front books (these were used for the soon to be released ASL module: "Armies of Oblivion"), but this may take awhile. I will also have to understand the formula BFC uses for their rarity factors.

What I DO know about Scout Cars is this: the US Army had used Scout Cars in their TO&E from the mid 30s. Their usage in WWII was limted to the Philippines and (I think) these were also used in some numbers in Operation Torch. Once these were supplanted by the M2, M3 & M5 Halftracks the remaining stocks were shipped to the USSR as part of the Lend-Lease agreement. If memory serves there were more Scout Cars shipped than any other AFV. They were deployed from mid '42 and served throughout the war. Their rarity factor should be quite high from late '43 on. Operation Bagration featured the largest commitment of Lend-Lease vehicles ever (source: Soviet Blitzkrieg, Walter Dunn)and all recon battalions were equipped with these cars. M5s it should be noted, were used mainly for HQ personnel and their staff. Another interesting fact is that almost half of all Lend-Lease trucks were used FOR FORCED CIVILIAN DEPORTATION instead of being used at the Front (source: "Blood on the Snow" documentary)as WWII was winding down in the East.

SU-85s were designed to counter the new threat posed by the Tiger Tanks. Some sources mention their availability for Kursk but others refute this assertion. This is the one major problem with researching WWII--the more you research, the more conflicting the information. What is known for certain is that SU-85s peaked in early 44' then were slowly being replaced by the SU-100s, but still served throughout the remainder of the war.

One AFV that gets ignored in CMBB is that worthless twin-turreted T-26AM31. This little tin can served as the HQ tank of T-26 Tank companies. These T-26s didn't survived Barbarossa and by '42 were no longer used in battle, relegated for use as training tanks for new tank crew recruits.

One final interesting fact is that the BTs were still committed in force during "Operation August Storm" in Manchuria, 1945.

There is so much to discuss that a seperate thread should be set up just on Russian tanks in CMBB.

For this thread, can any grog out there lend me their assistance with Zimordok's request? I have no inkling as to the rarity formula employed. Once I get my books back, I will be better prepared. smile.gif