Rube Goldberg 37mm ATG

Need some hypotheses on this one:

QB vs. AI, computer picks both sides.

I've got a 50mm & a 37mm ATG. The former expends its AT ammo expenditure killing one of four enemy mislabelled T-34s (they were OT-34s) after opening up too soon. The second OT-34 is gun damaged, then immobilized by the 37mm which is about 340 meters from two tanks, one of which are in LOS. It is abandoned, but then the third OT-34 is suddenly knocked out. The fourth is on the far left flank doing god knows what.

I played the turn a few times, and the 50mm does not target either tank. It is firing its HE ammo load at infantry much closer.

None of my infantry are closer than 250m to any tank.

All my mortars and artillery rounds were exhausted.

Here is what I think might have happened: a 37mm round must have ricocheted off the second tank and hit the side of the third...? I couldn't verify from any angle. Is this possible at 300m +/- by a 37mm ricochet? I'm certainly prepared to believe it. ;)

***no bug allegations here, btw***

Originally posted by Cpt. Cook:

Here is what I think might have happened: a 37mm round must have ricocheted off the second tank and hit the side of the third...? I couldn't verify from any angle. Is this possible at 300m +/- by a 37mm ricochet? I'm certainly prepared to believe it. ;)

Doesn't happen in CM, AFAIK. I'd be more suspecting of the EFOW and that your men just didn't first realise that the tank was KO. Or then it was the holy handgranade. Or a lousy attempt at April Fools Trick from the AI.

Are you sure about that? I was messing around with some Sturmtigers and a Russian Battalion or 3, and a shot from a Sturmtiger that was parked about 15 meters behind a house blew up the house as it shot out of the barrel, and then continued on its merry way to immolate a company of conscripts. Can't figure out how it happened. Was it the exhaust gasses from the barrel, or did the flight of the round actually carry the shell path through the house? I don't know. I can tell you, though, there was no russian artillery, no armor, no air strikes, nothing that the infantry carried that could take out a house from 300 meters away. I am positive of this because I picked the forces for both sides. Wish I still had the video from that turn.

So, weird things happen in CMBB.

Originally posted by Sergei:

Doesn't happen in CM, AFAIK.

I once saw a tank hit by a ricochet, which I think KO'd it. I'm fairly certain that the tank was in a dead angle from all my AT guns, and after watching the movie several times, I didn't notice any other rounds hitting it. So either some graphics glitch hid the killing round from view, or the tank was really KO'd by the 50mm round ricocheting off from the adjancent tank and hitting it on the side.

Originally posted by Engel:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sergei:

Doesn't happen in CM, AFAIK.

I once saw a tank hit by a ricochet, which I think KO'd it. I'm fairly certain that the tank was in a dead angle from all my AT guns, and after watching the movie several times, I didn't notice any other rounds hitting it. So either some graphics glitch hid the killing round from view, or the tank was really KO'd by the 50mm round ricocheting off from the adjancent tank and hitting it on the side. </font>