Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Tactics for elim. HQs

I am relatively new to this awesome game, and I am having fun mastering the art of tactical warfare. One thing is bothing me right now. HQ units. These units seem to be the most difficult to dispatch, especially when they get down to 2 or 3 members left in the unit. Once I had HE fire from a PzIII, machine gun fire from 2 HMG and some rifle fire from two squads and it still took nearly 3 turns to finish off 3 officers. I have since taken to using Tank-Hunter teams (they have SMGs) to knock out these units. Is there a better way knock out these units.

Also what is the purpose of the Tank-Hunter unit. It seems to me that they are a little under-dressed for the task of knocking out tanks (2xSMG + molotov cocktails, etc.)

Also any suggestions on what a good "Head-Hunter" squad would or should look like would be nice.

[ February 06, 2004, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: shadow_king ]

Originally posted by shadow_king:

Is there a better way knock out these units.

Suppress them with MG and/or light mortar fire and close up to them with a couple of your own squads, or better yet an entire platoon, and finish them off with grenades and close combat. Be sure that your infantry is in command in order to get the most out of them, preferably from an HQ with attack and morale bonuses.

Michael

I tried using three squads of inf, supported by two or maybe three halftracks. It still took nearly 3 turns. I was fighting the airport battle.

There has to be a better way - besides flame thrower teams.

I just thought it was a waste of three squads that could have been attacking another target. How may people does it take to kill 3 or four guys.

I think I am going to ptry to pin them with MG fire then move a couple of tank hunter units with a flame thrower to flush them out.

[ February 06, 2004, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: shadow_king ]

Once they are pinned, move one squad right up to them, with within 10m, using "advance" or "assault". If they don't get up and run they will be killed rapidly in close combat for minimal ammo expenditure. If as usually happens they get up to run, leaving cover, they will be finished off once they get into the open by every shooter within range. If you can't get close, the other alternative is to shoot at them for one turn with 75mm HE or larger, direct. With MGs and such standing by to cut them down when they get up and run.

The thing to understand is that fire - particularly into cover - is meant to pin or break, not to kill. Once a unit is broken, you are throwing away most of the effect of additional fire at it, because it can't easily get "more scared". Actual casualties are less common against small units - they are effectively a "smaller target" in pure men hit per unit fp thrown at them. The only time it is worthwhile to shoot an already cowering or brokwn small unit, is when it is so exposed you can actually kill all of them outright. To make that happen with a pinned unit in cover, you first have to make them get up and run.

Also, ask yourself whether you even need to bother. Broken tiny units have practically no ability to influence events around them. HQs can sometimes be an exception to this, because they might rally others if they live. Similarly, strong AT teams (schrecks, zooks) and FOs sometimes need to be finished off rather than just broken, because the consequences of them rallying can be large. With most units, though, if it is cowering and small, don't waste ammo on them and don't knock yourself out trying to finish them off. Just ignore them as effectively dead already, and continue the mission.

Originally posted by JasonC:

Also, ask yourself whether you even need to bother. Broken tiny units have practically no ability to influence events around them. HQs can sometimes be an exception to this, because they might rally others if they live. Similarly, strong AT teams (schrecks, zooks) and FOs sometimes need to be finished off rather than just broken, because the consequences of them rallying can be large. With most units, though, if it is cowering and small, don't waste ammo on them and don't knock yourself out trying to finish them off. Just ignore them as effectively dead already, and continue the mission.

This is a lesson I've finally learned. The TacAI likes to focus every gun in the house on a unit that's on the run. What I've now learned is that it's part of my job as commander to enforce fire discipline and ignore (but keep an eye on [Hi Yogi!]) units already heading for the back map edge to concentrate on those units still able to put up a fight.

Michael

I've found that first the large U.S. HQ units (CMAK) and then the Sturm Platoon HQ's (3xMP44 variety) are the most troublesome when entrenched. I lost an entire platoon one time trying to assault a lone Sturm HQ holed up in a church. Mostly it was the fault of the Sherman who refused to commence suppresive (chuckle) fire due to proximity of freindlies, but still a real shocker when it happened to me.

:D

It was then I took to the forums here looking for advice. Upon following the suggestions of JasonC and others; I haven't had any trouble with lone, unsupported, and fanatical units causing much damage.

:cool:

[ February 07, 2004, 07:40 PM: Message edited by: Abteilung ]