Russian Words

It is "Lozhis!" and it means "(take) Cover!", iirc. Someone posted a link to the Russian and German transliterations a while back. I'll do a search in a moment and see what turns up. :D

Edit:

This is what I found: Link

Also, "Lozhis" is listed as meaning "get down", so I misled you a bit initially. Serves me right for going on my memory.... :(

[ February 07, 2004, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: Abteilung ]

Originally posted by Abteilung:

It is "Lozhis!" and it means "(take) Cover!", iirc. Someone posted a link to the Russian and German transliterations a while back. I'll do a search in a moment and see what turns up. :D

Edit:

Also, "Lozhis" is listed as meaning "get down", so I misled you a bit initially. Serves me right for going on my memory.... :(

Thank you very much.

Originally posted by Sanok:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Abteilung:

Edit:

Thank you very much. </font>

It can sometimes be hard to tell B's and L's apart, but here's another way to tell:

Bozhe has the emphasis on the first syllable "B0", and the final "e" is pronounced "uh," like in "duh." So the word sounds something like BO-zhuh.

"Lozhis," on the other hand,has the emphasis on the last syllable, and the "e" in the last syllable is long, as in "meat." So the word sounds something like "lah-ZHEES".

Hope that helps. (Also hope that's right; it's been a long time since I took russian.)

Originally posted by Andrew Hedges:

Bozhe has the emphasis on the first syllable "B0", and the final "e" is pronounced "uh," like in "duh." So the word sounds something like BO-zhuh.

"Lozhis," on the other hand,has the emphasis on the last syllable, and the "e" in the last syllable is long, as in "meat." So the word sounds something like "lah-ZHEES".

I beg to differ. The final "e" in "Bozhe" is definetely NOT pronounced as "uh". It's prononced like "e" in... hmm.. "tiger". As for the "lah-ZHEES", it may sound like that when shouting and the word gets "streched". But the normal pronouncation still is "lozhis", with "i" like in "kit".