Unable to load saved PBEM Games

This is what I did:

1) Installed SC and version 1.02 patch.

2) Started game, played fine. I confirmed the game is version 1.02

3) Downloaded opponent PBEM games into PBEM folder, played turns, saved, overwrote files, hit okay, and then e-mailed saved games from PBEM folder to opponents. They all said they got zero files. My e-mails show appropriate saved PBEM files attached to my e-mails with the paperclip icon, but only 2k size e-mails in the sent e-mail folder. So even though its showing an attached file, no saved PBEM is getting e-mailed.

4) Deleted game, reinstalled, did patch again, confirmed it was version 1.02 Started game, played against computer and saved, that file is there and reloaded fine.

5) My opponents resent their first PBEM turns, all saying they got nothing. I saved their turns into the PBEM folder, but now, when I try to load the PBEM games an old DOS like box pops up momentarily, then entirely kicks me out of SC.

6) Tried doing a PBEM game with myself, as a test. Started, played turn, saved, e-mailed to myself, and noticed it was a zero file, even though the file icon was attached to the e-mail, just like the other PBEM games. I downloaded into PBEM folder anyway, but get kicked out of the entire game as mentioned above when I try to reload it.

I am using Window 98 with a Pentium 3. I need help, as I don't believe I'm doing anything wrong, but who knows.

Looking forward to a response. My game was delivered to the wrong address, causing a delay, and now this! !

Just to make sure, delete all the files in your SAVE and PBEM folder since it's not backwards compatible with "pre-patch" games, and any corrupted files in those folders may cause problems when loading saved games in SC.

Now for the emailing problem, some ISP's from the sounds of it don't like the save game files from SC. I've heard that zipping the files first and then sending seems to resolve the issue. It's a bit of a pain since you have to zip and unzip, but should work and will at least be playable.

Hope that helps,

Hubert

I'm one of Jollyguy's opponents. IT's not the game, it's stinking Yahoo mail munging up text attachments (as usual). I just recieved a file from JOllyguy from another acct with a regualr isp and all seems hunky dory...

Jolly- I'll get to the turn when I get home from work this afternoon... You have that long to prepare for you doom!

Prepare for my doom! ! Sounds like big league grade trash talking!

Looking forward to your turn.

And yes, I believe Yahoo Mail was the culprit. I guess you get what you pay for, which was nothing in this case, Yahoo Mail was free. Okay for standard e-mail, but looks like it sucks on file attachments.

See Ya