AAR : Hollywood Legend-Rambo (Axis -100) vs Wachtmeister (Allies)

jon_j_rambo

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surrendered in Summer '44.

This game was unique in that I had never lost a game where I was able to liberate France by late '42. Rambo did a great job making the best of the situation, and exploiting some errors on my part. Germany was hurting bad in Jan '43, and was saved to a significant extent by the beefed up, MPP rich, Italians - real alternative "what if" history!

This game produced some new situations, at least for me, so I'll list a few lessons that I think I learned (aside from reducing obvious, dumb errors.)

1. Don't seize more in the west than you can hold, against the inevitable Axis counter-attack. the Allies liberated France and the Low Countries, but the now broad front could not be held indefinitely,especially in the face of level+2 increasing to level+4 infantry. Went ahead with the invasion of France, sooner than I wished, to relieve pressure on USSR, and to beat the monster Italian Army to France before they could finish with Spain and Portugal. The invasion decision was Ok, but I allowed myself to get overextended. It worked for about a year. The low USA/UK MPP base makes it tough to maintin units and get in any research. Eventually lost the tech battle.

2. When you detect that the line won't hold - get out to safety right away. I did a very poor job of this in Southern France and lost about 4 quality USA 2 UK, and 2 French ground units unecessarily. I had sufficient warning, but pulled the plug way late. Rambo did a far superior job of making timely withfrwals when appropriate.

3. If, and when, the pressure is relieved on the USSR, as it was in this game, set back and research. Limit offensive operations to spoiling attacks, and general harassment to gain some experience. Until you upgrade the Russian Infantry, their offensive punch is insufficient against the, by now, experienced Germans. My first offensive was considerably premature - visions of a "knock out blow" to the Reich. However, there is a fine line between waiting too long and jumping off too soon.

In any case it was a enjoyable challenging game for both sides. Congrats Rambo.

Good AAR guys , thanks. Very nice closing statement Wachtmeister, I think you hit the key. Allies have to counter attack, but doing it too soon and you can't hold your area or maintain your units. Attack too late and the Axis will have Fortress Eroupe set up and you will find operation Overlord very hard. Truly a fine line.

[ March 20, 2003, 09:41 AM: Message edited by: Iron Ranger ]

This is an unusual outcome!

I have had tech-3 italian fighters but I've never seen them jump this far ahead, in other areas! They usually perform well in France though! I love the presence of 4-5 Italian Armies and tons of Corps with HQs they're the perfect attrittion Armies against the Allies that usually need that money on Reinforcing air.. I would have liked to seen this Map...I doubt the true Italians had this sorta capability in them as a Nation in 1939-1945

I think this game shows how kaa kaa koo koo the

economic model is in SC1 (if I may be so blunt,

or blunt-headed tongue.gif ). When Italy can get an

economy built up to more than twice the magnitude

of the United States, something is rotten in the

state of Michigan (which is to say, all US cities

that are not on the map do not exist to give the

US their MPPs). And to top it all off, when

France and the LCs are liberated, all those MPPs

go to France and the UK, with NO plunder bonus!

So it would seem that Italy's growth prospects

are significantly greater than the US's, as all

liberated countries go to the UK (which could use

them too of course, just pointing that out). The

Roman Powerhouse see just saw in this game then

should come as no surprise to anyone.

JD

Originally posted by John DiFool:

....I think this game shows how kaa kaa koo koo the economic model is in SC1 (if I may be so blunt).....

JD

Now let's all chant the mantra that Shaka was kind enough to share with us.....

"It's a game, not a simulation....It's a game, not a......(and continue 'till the mind, body and spirit are one).

Sincerely,

Captain Unconscious

Look who gets the last laugh, Momma Mia!

xray.jpg

Great Reading, took it in all at once and really enjoyed it.

Liked that summary, WhactMeister , very good information. Great insights into your moves throughout.

And General Rambo is still the original Legend. Terrific encouragement for those of us who like a strong Italy. And man, what a comeback from 43 to your Sea Lion!

Meanwhile, somewhere in the shadows, Kuniworth is lurking, taking notes and preparing himself.

[ March 21, 2003, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]