Okay, so don't Lock This Thread, see if I care!

JerseyJohn

Kuni,

I feel uncomfortable with it too.

-- Okay, it was a misunderstanding pure and simple and I'm willing to admit it was on my part. We looked at the same picture and saw it two different ways. Things like that happen.

As for you being Chewbacca, that's fine, he's one of the best characters in the series, at least in my opinion, that could only have been a positive and I'm glad you got a good character.

My reaction to this was wrong, I admit it. Part of it is I hated that Jar Jar thing, I kept hoping they'd eject him as soon as they got off whatever planet they were on. :D

Okay, let's put this dumb thing away and as you say, we'll move past it.

Kuni,

I think you're right, I don't remember seeing it in any of his posts -- and I think he's got over 7,000! That's a lot of movie quotes. :D

Napoleon at St. Helena -- I don't think he had a butler so he's off the hook. It might have been the house cleaner. Last I heard he was poisoned but it's confusing because he had aresenic or something in his system from when he was still emperror. ;)

Interesting question. My guess has to be the doctor working on instructions from the Island's British governor -- but was he working on instructions from London? ;):D

@Puniworth --- Dude, so I don't use some stupid smiley so I'm not a good guy? I'm glad you have close friends online, what a joke. Is your b/f online too? Why did I suddenly get involved in this Chewy & Jar-Jar debate?

@Sir Jersey --- You're right, being called JarJar is in insult. Puni defending his insult by calling himself Chewy, is an even bigger insult. Chewy is cool, JarJar, well, is <fill in the blank>.

"Look at that brother trying to be me" --- Stacey from the movie, Menace To Society.

Too much Legend, too little to go around.

Brother Rambo,

Appreciated -- I agree about that smiley, it took a long time for me to start using them when I first began posting, I became accustomed to them over the years but they can become annoying sometimes.

Anyway, I've got to give Kuniworth a lot of credit for working this out with me and I'm glad we did.

Kuni,

While we're on the subject of Napoleon I read something during the sixties that I'm not certain is true or not. That his penis was amputated post mortem and preserved in vinegar in a small sealed jar. I have no idea whether this is true, or a myth.

This is the eleventh post here, I'll really crack up if this ends up being one of those eternal threads that never gets locked -- despite it's new title and the fact I've erased my first two posts in it. ;)

Don't you guys get it, it was Major Plum with the candlestick in the study. I'm surprised y'all don't have a Clue! :D

I know my memory is not that specific, but it was something to that effect, seems I'm not the only one suffering from dementia. :D

SeaMonkey, it really is a classic. I hope there's a computer version out there.

But there was nothing like playing with a group of flesh and blood opponents where you could tell things from the way people said things or wrote their notes. Sometimes that was a (no pun intended) dead giveaway.

Ha !!! You are so right right JJ.

You are so attuned to the idiosyncracies of such simple games, the subtle hints that allow you to conquer your opponents.

Then, you never give yourself any credit for being a SC master....and you know you are.

Its not always about whether you win or lose....but......?

Originally posted by jon_j_rambo:

@Puniworth --- Dude, so I don't use some stupid smiley so I'm not a good guy?

Thats what I like about you Jon Joker, your ability to draw correct and logical conclusions from my original posts.

YES! if someone notice that you don't use smileys and politely points it out in a discussion then YES that instantly turns you into a bad boy in the same category as the devil himself. Its all logic.

JErsey; I don't know about his penis but Ive watched a show on Discovery Channel aboút a swede, Sven Forshuvud, who came up with this murder at st helena theory. He claimed that the arsenic-poisoning has kept Napoleon's body preserved in the coffin and that an examination would prove it. But the french state refuse to dig up and have the body examined.

Oh another mystery;

why does Dragonheart keep writing "grazy" instead of "crazy" all the time?

I'd still say that this thread has a long way to go if it wants to compete with the Reagan thread. The Reagan thread just did'nt get a padlock even if we did our best to make it happen for 200 posts or so. It took the great power of one Dr Carl Baker to make it happen and since he is not herte anymore my guess is that it will be a real challenge to get a padlock.

SeaMonkey,

Appreciated but I can't see myself in the same bracket with the guys who play a lot. Of those I've played, Rannug and Archibald always won against me, Rannug used me for batting practice but the good thing is he was always very generous in explaining the fine points. :D

-- The first year or so that the game was out, when none of us knew much about it, I played a lot of PBEM games and had very good results, but as I said, nobody knew the fine points back then. After that I pretty much stopped playing and at this point I'm satisfied to be a non-competive player who messes with homemade scenarios that heavily favor the AI.

I think I had a greater ability at making scenarios than with actually playing the game. I made one regrettable mistake in laying out The Brest-Litovsk Variant, in that I deleted the Montgomery HQ and it's lost to the game. At the time I didn't know you can't delete HQs without pulling them from the build list. Some people noticed that and emailed me saying it was a good idea and limited the UK land power. Well, actually, it was a clicking accident! So we never know how things will turn out. :D

In the Z-Plan, I was pretty satisfied, except there were so many different opinions in the theme tournament Disorder organized that I wound up altering it a few times and distributing those copies; I don't know which version is best, probably it depends upon personal preferences. The funny part is, the better players who were in that tournament were pretty evenly split feeling either the Axis or the Allies had the advantage, no one felt it was perfectly balanced but they made a good point, that a slight imbalance produces a more exciting scenario.

And speaking of Disorder, I wish he'd come back, he's one of the best people we've ever had here.

-- I can see from your comments that you're also an old hand at those great board games that can never be equalled in a computer version. No way to simulate bluff or attempts to hide something, things that we'd both notice with the players sitting around a table. smile.gif

There's a lot of that in across the board chess. I used to do much better against really good players who sat still and played without causing distractions. My weakness was the guys who fidgetted, tapped their feet or did things like coughed or sneezed all over the board. Also, I never liked playing pretty young ladies, even when they were terrible players, because that was the ultimate distraction. :D

Originally posted by Codename Condor:

Haha, Jersey John asking for a lock in one of his threads! aint it funny?

Yeah, I think this is the first time it's happened with me. Which, considering all the times I've had similar psychotic episodes is surprising. :D

No doubt it will be locked today, now that it's becoming a pretty good thread and all. ;)

Kuni,

I think I heard or read that someplace too, about his corpse being so well preserved due to arsenic.

As I recall, after the French Revolution, Napoleon was terrified of mobs and always carried a vile of arsenic with him in case the wrong mob ever grabbed him. He swallowed it at one point, I think it was after returning to Paris in 1814, but the contents were too old and he only became sick.

There were reports that on St Helena he had all the symptoms of a man being slowly poisoned. I think he was, but it's hard to figure out why the British would have killed him at that particular time. He couldn't have been a threat to them. Again, I'm fuzzy on this, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that his death was arranged by someone from his past who was doing well and feared Napoleon would reveal something embarrassing.

As for grazy, I congratulate Dragonheart on finding a good alternate spelling. One of my neighbors pronounces his c's as g's. When I see him a few days in a row I start doing it myself. ;)