HAHA your a funny guy

Yeah - yesterday's bloody impatient, arrogant, self-centred kids were so much more fun!! :D

Come on Commi - you ask about a crack on the publisher's own web site and are surprised at the response??

what a dork! :rolleyes:

(edited 'cos I still can't spell for carp)

[ July 23, 2002, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

Before we jump on C18's comments too quickly, maybe we should scrutinize the topic line of this thread. It says "HAHA your a funny guy." Okay, there are a couple possible ways to read this.

First, let's assume the "a" is just a typo. If that is the case, it would read "HAHA your funny guy." Now, I would take that kind of comment to be along the lines of signing a letter with "Your Friend..." or something similar. So, following this line of reasoning, C18 may actually have been kidding all along and we just didn't comprehend the subtlety of his humor. :rolleyes:

The other way to read the topic line is to assume he meant to say "HAHA you're a funny guy." This would mean that "your" was just a typo (unlikely, based on the number of keystrokes and the positions of the keys) or C18 does not know how to use contractions to get from "you are" to "you're."

I am guessing the latter example is the correct one. Take it for what it's worth, but inability to grasp the fundamentals of English is troubling for somebody who lists their occupation as a "student."

How does this apply to his argument? Well, it doesn't! I just find it curious that "your" (a word that indicates possession) has replaced "you're" (a contraction that indicates a state of being) for far too many people. :(

Thanks. I feel better now. :D

[ July 23, 2002, 11:49 PM: Message edited by: SuperTed ]

Ted, you have no idea (Or actually, come to think of it, you just might) how much I despise that kind of grammar. Is it really that hard to learn the differences between here, hear, your, you're, their, there and their? I know foreigners to whom English is a second language, yet have a batter grasp of it. Fault of the school systems.