Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Do you DOW Russia in July of 1940

Edwin P.

In the 1939 Scenario how many of you have attacked Russia in July of 1940? I find that it totally changes the game as the game is more fluid and both sides wage war with fewer units mobilized. Oh yes, and until the Axis minors join Russia outproduces Germany 2 to 1.

[ November 26, 2003, 07:50 PM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

Way back in the dark days of the demo when all we had was 1 year, there were a whole lot of interesting strategies being tried. The problem with Russia in 1940 in a normal game is that Germany lacks the additional MPPs from its minors and the Balkans that it normally would have in 1941. Italy is still mobilizing. True, both sides have reduced forces. But Russia has all of its MPPs to build up while Germany struggles on a shoestring. Plus Russia has extra time for research to kick in while Germany has less. The burden is on Germany. It makes for an interesting challenge, doesn't it? ;)

I once attacked Germany in 42 with numerous landings from the Allies. I was here I was there I was everywhere.

But in the end, all but one was crushed.

Lesson learned, just because you appear to be able to do something, doesn't mean it will be a good idea.

I am playing a good hotseat game right now. and I waited till my Germans actually had MORE than they went into Russia with in March 41.

And it was worth it.

In a non-bid game attacking the baltic states and going after Russia early can be fun. But you would need to defeat France before June 1940 and quickly knock off a few minors for the plunder (norway, sweden, Greece ?)

However, you'll be lagging in tech and MPPs and there is no bonus to defeating (triggering ST) early. Expect to lose but it will create a fun, rather odd game.