Battle of Bulge campaign created

Norse

It is 16th december 1944, and the Reich racing towards the inevitable defeat. Hitler gambles one last time on the offensive, one to crush the allies in the Ardennes and send them out of France. Will it regain the initiative for the axis, or is it too litte and too late? A few months later, Hitler suicides, leaving behind him a devestated Europe in dismay.

Sounds interesting? I just finished it by using the warmaps and information found mostly in The Times Atlas of the Second World War. Too bad Otto isn't around, so I could upload it to the Strategic Command HQ. Here is a screenshot to tease you while we wait ;)

~Norse~

It is the St.Nazaire pocket, it surrendered with the rest of the Germans in may 1945. Don't you think it should be included? It doesn't really change a thing on it's own, it's too weak to accomplish anything other than get itself slaughtered. As the German player I'd rather just keep it there, either till it's rescued or the war is lost. smile.gif

Sounds great norse!!! Looks like a great campaign. However, perhaps you could email the file to people that want it until otto is restablished in chicago. Just a thought...

Cant wait to try it!

CVM,

PS. I know i cant copyright this, however, please, no one create a winter war campaign yet.

Now i know i have no right to say this, or enforce it, but let me have a shot at this first.

Considered that the game punishes attacks *from* a river hex, shouldn't the Germans make their last stand *behind* the Rhine instead of *on* it? And I don't think that the Maginot line was still of use in 44, too.

Straha

[ August 03, 2002, 07:28 PM: Message edited by: Straha ]

Great to see that you fancy this idea ;) And belive me, I have tried everything up and down to get that Maginot line away. It is a fault in the Campaign editor that keeps it there. Hubert hasto make a patch that let's you remove it in the editor, without surrendering France. That is the alternative now, and it removes all the French units from the game if that is done :rolleyes:

Hopefully Hubert will deal with this lil problem smile.gif

Though I don't think the Germans will attack at the bottom of the border there anyway. And I sat the entrenchment value on thoose allied units to minimal, so it shouldn't matter too much, apart from the annoyance ;)

~Norse~

OK I'll take a look at it. In the meantime, the only way you can do it now is to create the campaign by following the events that got it there. So set the countries that surrendered to surrendered and then move in the liberating troops and recolor the territory. This will work in the case of France, but right now you will not be able to include the French units and you will probably get a message saying that France has been liberated on the first turn.

Hubert

Thanks Hubert smile.gif Already tried that approach. In my opinion though, it is better to have the maginotline than to be without the French. I can live with the maginotline, it is an annoyance once you know it's there, but it doesn't make or breake the action in this campaign. The axis won't attack headon there anyway (unless u want the end really fast), the entrechment level to 0 helps too. Try the campaign and you see that the axis follows the historical approach and attacks in the north. Great minds think alike or something like that tongue.gif

~Norse~

Originally posted by Norse:

It is 16th december 1944, and the Reich racing towards the inevitable defeat. Hitler gambles one last time on the offensive, one to crush the allies in the Ardennes and send them out of France. Will it regain the initiative for the axis, or is it too litte and too late? A few months later, Hitler suicides, leaving behind him a devestated Europe in dismay.

Sounds interesting? I just finished it by using the warmaps and information found mostly in The Times Atlas of the Second World War. Too bad Otto isn't around, so I could upload it to the Strategic Command HQ. Here is a screenshot to tease you while we wait ;)

~Norse~

That's some screenshot. What level are the jets? It's pretty incredible what a little R&R can do. Rain, sleet or snow...whats up you postal maidens? No mail on Sunday. Guess I need a break. My wife told me that I said "They just sunk the Warspite" in my sleep, & Bloody poor luck" whatever that means.

Originally posted by Norse:

Great to see that you fancy this idea ;) And belive me, I have tried everything up and down to get that Maginot line away. It is a fault in the Campaign editor that keeps it there. Hubert hasto make a patch that let's you remove it in the editor, without surrendering France. That is the alternative now, and it removes all the French units from the game if that is done :rolleyes:

Though I don't think the Germans will attack at the bottom of the border there anyway. And I sat the entrenchment value on thoose allied units to minimal, so it shouldn't matter too much, apart from the annoyance ;)

~Norse~

Portions of the Maginot Line were still in use in '44. Portions of it were reoccupied by the Americans when the Germans launched Operation Nordwind in late December. One area of it was blasted into submission by a detachment of Sturmtigers. This is from memory, so no sources on it.

Originally posted by panzerwerfer42:

Portions of the Maginot Line were still in use in '44. Portions of it were reoccupied by the Americans when the Germans launched Operation Nordwind in late December. One area of it was blasted into submission by a detachment of Sturmtigers. This is from memory, so no sources on it.

Right, well IMO, it doesn't change much in the campaign other than the annoyance. And the AI seem's to be alittle overprotective there, which favors the Germans alittle. But as in life, the Germans haveto do extremely well and race thru France and throw them out, otherwise they are doomed. I'll put it up on that site in a few smile.gif

~Norse~