Silent Night Holy Night

SeaWolf_48

I've read of a story during the Battle of the Bulge during Christmas Eve. On that cold winter night eight german soldiers took refuge in a cabin in the Arden Forest where a hungry old Belgian woman, who lived alone, was making a meager dinner. Later during their scant dinner, where they all shared their food, eight American soldiers knocked at the door. When the old woman open the door the americans ran in from the cold to find the startled german boys. Both sides went for their rifles and raised them at their dreaded enemy.

In a moment of silence while, all stared with great fear of life at eachother, the old Belgian woman stood between the young men and rebuked them in strong french, "put down your guns, immediately, who do you think you are, don't you know what day this is", and proceeded to disarm the young scared soldiers. There was a long pause, then one man lowered his rifle, which cause a relief to the others, all followed until all were disarmed and releaved from the tension. While all were still standing the woman started singing Silent Night, Holy Night in french. Both sides knew this song and started singing it in there own languages. This broke the ice and some started to cry, inwardly they felt safe and warm. This caused them all to put down their weapons, and later they all shared the small diner together.

The story goes that all the men slept in that house that night, woke in the morning and left looking for their respective lines.

Peace on earth, good will toward man!

[ December 24, 2002, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: SeaWolf_48 ]

SeaWolf_48

Terrific and uplifting story.

Another -- which they've been showing an excellent documentation of lately on the History Channel -- is the 1914 Christmas Truce which occurred along sections of the German/British Ypres line in France.

It started with the singing of Christmas carols in the German trenches; the documentary mentions that the Germans had a holiday liquor ration which the Brits did not receive. After a while some of the British began singing also.

After a while individual German infantrymen began venturing across no-man's land (talk about being sauced!) some carrying parts of pine branches with small lit candles. Within a few hours soldiers from both sides were up and mingling and this lasted till the 26th. The truce was never official and in some instances enlisted men refused orders to shoot at the socializing troops.

Contrary to popular belief it didn't happen all across the line, only in sections and some individuals from both sides were shot (by snipers while returning to their lines) or captured while fraternizing.

What I find amazing about this one is the war lasted almost five years and was only four months old at this point, and soldiers on both sides were already war weary!

[ December 24, 2002, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

Actually i say a movie called 'Silent Night' recently where a German woman takes her son away from the city to get away from the Allied bombing. Her Husband hasnt sent here a letter in 4 months and he is fighing in Poland, her eldest son, Paul, was killed at Stalingrad. While her and her youngest son, Fritz are in their cabin, 3 american troops come to help care for a wounded american with them, later that day, 3 German soldats wander to the house, what follows is an interesting Microcosm. Culminating in an SS man posing as an MP.

CvM

CvM

Sounds interesting. Is it a new movie or an old one -- foreign or U. S.? Of the recent batch of WW II movies I've enjoyed "Enemy at the Gates" most. The book, which came out in the mid-seventies I believe, was also excellent. The movie is lifted from it's material rather than being a film interpretation.