Early Allied Strategy

Norse

Originally posted by Jollyguy:

Norse's Allied attack Italy strategy wouldn't work against a competent Axis PBEM or TCP/IP player. IMO it would consistently fail, and lead to Allied disaster.

LOL! :D

~Norse~

[ October 25, 2002, 06:14 AM: Message edited by: Norse ]

Norse;

If you want to do a TCP/IP game, me as Axis, let me know. You can try your French strategy, I'll try to counter it.

Post your e-mail if your interested. If you don't want to post your e-mail (which I'd understand), post here that you'd like to play a game, and I'll briefly change my profile to allow my e-mail to show, and then you can e-mail me.

Bob

Originally posted by Jollyguy:

Norse;

If you want to do a TCP/IP game, me as Axis, let me know. You can try your French strategy, I'll try to counter it.

Post your e-mail if your interested. If you don't want to post your e-mail (which I'd understand), post here that you'd like to play a game, and I'll briefly change my profile to allow my e-mail to show, and then you can e-mail me.

Bob

doesn't this give a huge advantage to the axis, knowing exactly the moves the allied player will make, pictures and maps and timeline included smile.gif ?

My point is that Norse's Allied attack strategy WILL ONLY work against the AI or a novice human player. A competant human Axis player is not going to sit there like a lump on a log, twiddling his thumbs, and let the Allies position units for some far fetched gambit. He's going to be attacking, and fast. By the time the Allied player got his units postitioned for Norse's plan, Paris would be threatened, if not under heel. Once Paris falls, France surrenders. All French units except those in British territory, plus a fleet or two, disappear. Plus, for anyone who has ever tried to leave a British unit in or around Marseilles when the Vichy government is installed, or any of the three Vichy cities for that matter, guess what happens? Surrender!

And, Sea Lion would be a HUGE possibility with Norses strategy. A well executed Sea Lion means the end of the game.

A little reminder about history. The French set up their defenses with the expectation that the Germans would batter themselves against the Maginot line. Guess what, the Germans disappointed the poor French by attacking somewhere else, using a revolutionary military doctrine called. . . blitzkrieg. The enemy is not contractually bound to attack in a manner that you would like them to.

If you would like to take up the challenge I'd be glad to face you as the Axis in a TCP game. All settings standard, no war in Siberia, all politics random. Your obligation will be to attempt to implement Norse's strategy. If your up to it, leave a post, and I'll e-mail you with my IP#s,.

Bob

When Hitler invaded Poland there were just 5 Dads army divisions facing 100 Britsh and French ones. These could have invaded Germany and brought the war to an end right there and then. They either couldn't or wouldn't. To have the Fench launch a blizkrieg on Italy is utterly absurd. This is not even remotely a historical option. Its pure fantasia. Might as well go and play 'Risk'. Bah.

SC is supposed to be about WWII. What you are proposing is pure fantasy land and bears no relation to what actually did or could have happened. I prefer a game which explores some plausible what-ifs. To each his own I guess. As for casting aspersions on me - well have it your way. Shooting the messenger is always the easiest option.

Concerning a counter-strategy, the key point to notice in Norse's printscreens is the date: May 1940. If the Axis player assumes the Allied player is going to attempt this gambit, he conquers Poland in 2-3 turns, operates everything back the next turn, and conquers Benelux by Jan 1940. UK barely has time to get 1-2 carriers in position and no time to build and move additional strategic bombers. Without the air attacks, this strategy relies too much on a few lucky rolls. If the allies fail to take Rome, the Axis player simply operates in an army and that's all they wrote. I've tried this in a solitaire hotseat game three times and only succeeded once (the Axis didn't attack Benelux until Feb or March that game).

Out of curiosity, if you're in a PBEM game and the Axis player follows the above strategy, how would you take advantage of it as the Allied player? After all, you don't HAVE to attack Italy - just convince the Axis player you might.