Will SC and CM merge?

Huns_1

What I have always looked for in a ww2 game be it squad commander, axis and allies or the close combat series was a strategic level game that had the tactical level of combat woven in. With the current development of combat mission covering the tactical level perfectly in my mind all it is missing now is the campaign level. As it stands now the most you can do is a few operations strung together. Nice for set battles, but if you want to build a corp in 39 and follow it's development path through the war your SOL. So, my question is will Strategic Command and Combat mission ever be combined to allow for this level of gaming? I loved playing Close Combat 3:The Russian Front with the Real Red Mod and take a small team of troops and have them evolve through the war, now if the 2 games (SC and CM) were to merge this could happen with several corps and from all different nations (especially if SC was to expand to the whole war and not just the European theater).

I seriously doubt it...but I understand where you are coming from....if each strategic hex could be zoomed in to fight the battle on a tactical level it might be interesting but would take a hell of a long time to play....think of playing 10 to 20 turns of Panzer General II just to see if you advance one hex on the strategic map....games would never end.......

[ December 07, 2003, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: J P Wagner ]

And this is a bad thing? Well I can see the game being seriously bogged down in the number of fights I would propose the battles be fought on the CM engine and thus allowing for far more varied and way more interesting firefights (as well as quicker to resolve). Example: In axis and allies a common tactic is for the German player to stockpile 2 turns of armor and 1 turn of infantry and then 'rush' Moscow with everything he has before the economic superiority of the west is brought to bear. If the fights could be scaled in CM they would be very intense struggles with direct bearing on the strategic level. Every Russian conscript would be needed to stem that tide of axis armor till the winter and Siberian reinforcements could arrive. It would make for great gameplay.

[ December 07, 2003, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: Huns_1 ]

This has been one of my dreams for the "Wargame to end all Wargames". The ability to zoom into the tactical level to fight a critical battle, optional of course. Forget the 3D CM version, think of a hex or pixel format, where you deploy your forces and give your orders (ala Airborne Assault) to your commanders to be carried out simultaneously until the battle is either won or lost, you just sit back and watch. OK,.. maybe you get to throw your red flag on the field to change an order here or there during the engagement, but not to often.

There was a DOS game exactly like that some time back -- SSI included it in their multi-packs when DOS went bust.

Can't recall the name of it, the game was global with territories and an ability to zoom for tactical direction.

It also had territorial inteligence, insurrection and counter insurrection abilities and there was some way of causing your computer adversaries to become irrational through espionage.

The computer opponents were Bismark, General Custer, Abe Lincoln, Queen Victoria, Attila the Hun and a Cave Man. Ah, the old DOS mentality!

I screwed the Cave Man once and he sort of pouted, somehing like, "Yeah, everyone always scres stupid Ugg." and I really felt bad about it. Lincoln and Victoria loved using espionage and were very underhanded...

Know what, I feel like I'm one step away from the Loony Bin just talking about it! :D

Jersey, i remember that game too, I remember the faces of your opponents were always there. It was a pretty cool idea, fun game, not too deep though, IIRC.

Although i never felt too bad about putting the boots to Cronk, he was kinda simple that way. I liked getting queen Elizabeth all worked up, she went a pretty shade of red IIRC

Any news on SC HQ?

Errant,

Right, you were able to see their changing expressions. They were all a riot to see when they became irrational.

What me feel bad about that Cave Man incident is I was helping him, then saw a change in his policy coming, and kicked him in the rear. It was weird, he looked so hurt I almost apologized to the screen.

Okay, I did apologize to the damn screen! :D

You're right, it wasn't a very deep game, but enjoyable for a few runs with several different aspects to consider.