A question about HQ's

anoldman

I did a search on the Message Boards for "HQ" but could not find any threads that answer my question:

What effect does having or not having a unit in HQ range do for you? On Defense? On Offense? Why would I buy an HQ over a Tank Unit?

Rulebook with demo does a nice job of telling me it is going to grab X appropriate random units and attatch to them but what value to me is this?

If this has already been discussed then a link would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

--An Old Man

I second the comment on HQs. They are a must for any kind of sustained offensive. Just watch your supply and readiness dwindle when a unit is far from home and no HQ is around.

I think the Italians must make an HQ purchase if they hope to fight successfully in the Med.

There was a poster somewhere around here who lamented that taking Yugoslavia was very difficult, and that the Germans shouldn't have such a tough time. It was pointed out that if the armies had no Headquarters unit attached to it, you would indeed have difficulties. He in fact had no Headquarters unit attached so understood where the problem lay.

Thanks for the great replies. I am trying to wrap my brain around the size of the effect that HQ's impart on 'their' units.

I think what I may have to do is operationally move the HQ's as far to the east as possible so they have no influence, and then attack france.

Then I will replay with HQ's present and note which units are influenced and what impact it has on the fight.

I read a thread saying that HQ's have a control radius of 4 hexes. Does it matter if it unit is 4 hexes away as opposed to 1 hex away from HQ?

Clearly HQ's have an effect on readiness and supply, is the 'bonus' effect of HQ's that they raise readiness and Supply each turn?

If someone could please comment on the following situations to help me understand:

A tank unit with 100% Readiness and 10 Supply attacks.

A Tank unit with 50% Readiness and 10 Supply attacks.

A Tank unit with 100% Readiness and 5 Supply attacks.

A Tank unit with 50% Readiness and 5 Supply attacks.

Obviously Readiness and Supply make a large impact on the attack ability but I was wondering what effect each plays.

Another question. DO HQ's raise both readiness and supply or just one or the other?

If I have a unit that does not attack during its turn, does its Readiness and Supply increase even if it is not part of an HQ? Does its distance from a friendly city effect how much it gains for its turn of inactivity?

Thanks for taking the time to answer these new to wargaming questions,

--An Old Man

I noticed in my HQ experiment that my units that were at 90% Readiness and 10 Supply fell to 67% Readiness and 10 Supply when the HQ was removed.

I noted that there was no increase to readiness simply taking no action for a turn. This could be because the unit was at its maximum readiness already though.

Thanks,

--An Old Man

AOM,

Originally posted by An Old Man:

I read a thread saying that HQ's have a control radius of 4 hexes. Does it matter if it unit is 4 hexes away as opposed to 1 hex away from HQ?

The distance to the HQ matters for determining supply level. Also, the radius is five hexes.

Clearly HQ's have an effect on readiness and supply, is the 'bonus' effect of HQ's that they raise readiness and Supply each turn?

Yes. Also, their morale bonus is applied to units under their command during combat. Conversely, the performance of units under their command in combat affects the HQ's morale bonus.

If someone could please comment on the following situations to help me understand:

A tank unit with 100% Readiness and 10 Supply attacks.

A Tank unit with 50% Readiness and 10 Supply attacks.

A Tank unit with 100% Readiness and 5 Supply attacks.

A Tank unit with 50% Readiness and 5 Supply attacks.

Obviously Readiness and Supply make a large impact on the attack ability but I was wondering what effect each plays.

Theses should help:

Readiness = (supply + strength + command rating + combat morale bonus) / 3

Multiplier = readiness / 10

Attacker Losses = defender_multiplier * (defend_type_value + attacker_experience / 2) - attacker_multiplier * attacker_experience / 2

Defender Losses = attacker_multiplier * (attack_type_value + attacker_experience / 2) - (defender_multiplier * (defender_experience / 2 + defender_entrenchment + defense_bonuses))

Another question. DO HQ's raise both readiness and supply or just one or the other?

Both.

If I have a unit that does not attack during its turn, does its Readiness and Supply increase even if it is not part of an HQ?

Nope, they are determined by the supply source and the unit's distance from that supply source.

[QB]

Inactivity does not lead to increases in supply or readiness.

A follow-up question.

How can I 'see' my expierence? I see the medals fill up but can I ever see the actual value? is the value 1-8? (Colored top worth 1, bottom gold worth 1?)

In your Attacker's Loss equation, for the defend_type_value would this be a '4' or a '2' if the defender is a basic Army (2) sized Infantry unit being attacked by a Tank Corps?

What would confer a defense bonus? Terrain? I thought terrain only determined the maximum entrenchmant value?

Thanks again,

--An Old Man

P.S. I really enjoy your AAR's SuperTed. They real inspire me to breath life into my own games as I play as well.

Also regarding the Attack Equations and such, I noticed that there must also be a random variable included.

I replayed 4 or 5 different attacks a number of times and noticed a +/- 1 unit loss variation. I assume the greater the disparity the strengths of the units, the greater the influence the variable of war?

Second, how can the readiness value equation you show when divided by 3 yield a percentage? Say for example (10+10+7+?+?)/3?

Thanks,

--An Old Man

[ July 24, 2002, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: An Old Man ]