weather effects/ graphics ? /other

Tomb

played a few times and am also playing High-command. winter is noticable and drawn on the map, my units are grinding to a halt in the winter zones, i have not noticed this in SC, going to be crucial against mother russia, it would be nice to know general winter has arrived.

some sort of medium bomber unit is needed, germany never developed heavy or even strategic bombers, also the principal brit bombers carried twice the bombload of principle usa bombers while later war principle usa fighters had twice the range of principle brit fighters, this medium unit would not be as good as fighters or bombers but somewhere between ,but would have range the class of plane would represent mossie/beaufighter/p38/110/hampden/B25/he111

the major killer of subs was aircraft and its perhaps these rather than surface ships which should be able to suprise subs, subs had loads of time to dive from approaching war ships and very little from air attack.

like the game for its one session play, think the subs is about right (casualties in the U-boat service was very high in ww2) , have to wonder why thier are no Destroyer/small unit flotillas since these were the major sub hunters, not the capital ship units in the game.

i did like the fact i could use the RAF to wreck the german/french ports to prevent "sealion" an often overlooked contribution of bomber command during the Battle of Britain and as axis i used the Luftwaffe to hit the ports to cost the UK MPPs though as Axis i did invade britain since the AI is not wise to this tactic

overall i enjoy the game but feel its nearer axis and allies than high command but as i enjoy both games thats not a bad thing

regards

tomb

Originally posted by Tomb:

some sort of medium bomber unit is needed, germany never developed heavy or even strategic bombers, also the principal brit bombers carried twice the bombload of principle usa bombers

Bomber range and quality is adjusted by research. You are right, the Germans never went for heavies, but that was a concious decision on their part (there was a Luftwaffe general who championed a 4 engine lng range bomber... alas he was killed in Spain and I can't recall hiw name). The game accurately reflects where priorities start, but there's no reason to beleive that a German player might not research long range planes or heavy bombers... Or the US or Britain abondon the concept...

Weather effects are something I would like to see also. I don't know whether they are not there at all, or I just can't see them.

Clash of Steel used a neat system where there were several weather zones, and the color of the terrain would change depending on whether it was good, mud, or snow. Movement, combat, etc., were also drastically affected.

Weather effect would be a nice thing to see... At this level, I think that game turns during winter months being 4 weeks long is a great start, though. Perhaps some stiffer penalty for conducing operations in Russia during the first couple winters might be in order, though.

Some of the conditions for Barbarossa are not apparent in the demo due to the time frame (may40-may41), but keeping the 'Scorched Earth' option on will make things interesting for the Axis player as they drive deep and may have supply problems, also there is the possiblity of a 'Soviet Siberian Army Transfer' from the winter of 41 onwards under the right conditions.

the demo period covers one winter, the winter of 41 with no apparent effect, think i would also second the comment about africa else where Ie another hex row or two that gets some "flow" into the battle. it was after all a battle of flanking manovers.

strategic bomber, no reason why germany could not develop them in the game, but in 1939/40/41 only Britain had a strategic bomber force, the luftwaffe was purely tactical in nature and used to support the army., more effective than any one else in the early part of the war thats for sure.

regards

Tomb

the demo period covers one winter, the winter of 41 with no apparent effect
Just to clarify, since winter starts in december I commonly refer to the first winter in the demo as the winter of 1940, and the second winter as the winter of 1941, i.e. the winter you will not see in the demo and the winter that there were transfers made from the siberian front by Stalin, notably in the defense of Moscow.

think i would also second the comment about africa else where Ie another hex row or two that gets some "flow" into the battle. it was after all a battle of flanking manovers.
I agree it would be nice to have extra hexes down there as well, and as I've said before it was something that was finalized many moons ago when I encountered limitations, but it's not to say that I don't think it would be a good idea, it's just that the map will not change at this point unfortunatly.

Hubert

Originally posted by Tomb:

the major killer of subs was aircraft and its perhaps these rather than surface ships which should be able to suprise subs, subs had loads of time to dive from approaching war ships and very little from air attack.

The problem with allied air units participating in the Battle of the Atlantic is that there is no Patrol option (i.e. just have your plane explore a given section of sea). There has to be a U-boat which has already been spotted by other assets (ships) for you to attack it. This functionality should be added to the air unit menu-in which case what happens when the air unit passes over a U-boat? Does it (the plane) get hit with a dreaded 'surprise' attack? Or does it get surprise over the sub and drops depth charges?

Hubert any comments?

John DiFool