Minor Hq's

HQs for at least Finland and Romania may be appropriate, but I don't see how to justify them with the few minor units available and not provide some HQ capability to the other major powers. France doesn't get a HQ, why should Finland? Something could be done to extend the supply range for the Finns so they can move to their historical limits, or change their supply effects or something. It's annoying to retreat the Finns when they enter the war before the inept Russians pound them out of existence. (Yes CVM, we do care about the Finns.)

An issue that should be reconsidered eventually is HQ control of minor allies. Germany should be able to control its axis minors. Britain should be able to control the Canadians and Free French. There's probably a coding issue to resolve to make this happen for some allies and not all. It would be nice to at least have HQ control of minors as an optional feature in some future enhancement.

A related issue is purchase of additional minor units for at least the axis minors and Canada. These could be at reduced cost but also reduced effectiveness. The possibility of providing minor HQs for purchase could also be considered here, so players can decide if they're worth it. That's a long-term request. For now, something to help the Finns' initial supply and entrenchment situation would be a nice patch issue.

Originally posted by Bill Macon:

HQs for at least Finland and Romania may be appropriate, but I don't see how to justify them with the few minor units available and not provide some HQ capability to the other major powers. France doesn't get a HQ, why should Finland?

I agree with Mannerheim on this one. Finland did good with minimal forces against Russland. In the demo, when Finland joins the war, Russland is smashing the Finns and I always haveto retreat (maybe Im just doing something wrong). In reality, the Finns pushed the Russians back and took back Karelia, and Germany asked that they should attack Leningrad with them. I never get the Finns to do this good in SC.

To smash Finland would require alot of Russian effort IMO, so it wouldn't be wrong to give the Finns a HQ unit to represent their quality. In the game the Russians just need a couple armies without HQ support :(

The reason France isn't given an initial HQ unit, is because their communication-links were outdated (ww1 style mostly). By the time a unit recived an order, the order was already days old and outdated! If France is to remedy their situation, then they need to spend MPP's to improve their ways, IE buying a HQ unit themselves. Also, if France is given a HQ unit from the start, then Germany might not be able to conquer them, or atleast not as fast as they did in reality. Gameplay issue.

Something could be done to extend the supply range for the Finns so they can move to their historical limits, or change their supply effects or something. It's annoying to retreat the Finns when they enter the war before the inept Russians pound them out of existence. (Yes CVM, we do care about the Finns.)

I agree, something is wrong here.

An issue that should be reconsidered eventually is HQ control of minor allies. Germany should be able to control its axis minors. Britain should be able to control the Canadians and Free French. There's probably a coding issue to resolve to make this happen for some allies and not all. It would be nice to at least have HQ control of minors as an optional feature in some future enhancement.

This is a good suggestion. Instead of giving the minors a HQ unit, then the major power on their side should be able to command them. Either way is fine with me, but I think something should be done about this issue.

A related issue is purchase of additional minor units for at least the axis minors and Canada. These could be at reduced cost but also reduced effectiveness. The possibility of providing minor HQs for purchase could also be considered here, so players can decide if they're worth it. That's a long-term request. For now, something to help the Finns' initial supply and entrenchment situation would be a nice patch issue.

Good point.

~Norse~

Maybe give Finland an HQ, but otherwise leave it as it is. The only qualitative difference between various countries armies are the HQ's. Hubert would have to change many of the HQ rules to let minors be commanded by majors' HQ's. Then the game would have to be play balanced again.

Gorski

I believe the Finns deserve to be commanded under a German HQ, but no one else. The other minors were effectively cannon fodder. It was the Romanians or Hungarians that the Russians rolled over on one flank, to begin the encirclement of Stalingrad.

Good point. The Hungarians and Rumanians shouldnt have HQ'S. But Finland does. Something like this would be easier to patch. Just add an Hq from the germans build list, use a different bitmap for it, and make it able to command Finnish and german troops. Perhaps name it Mannerheim........

God that would make my day.............. :D

CVM

What about replacing the minor nation's units with the major power's units?

Like in Finland, you can place the German Manstein HQ with some axis troops, and rename thoose "Finnish corps nr# "

~Norse~

[ August 04, 2002, 08:01 PM: Message edited by: Norse ]

I think it would vastly improve game play and the strategies involved, if the major power's HQs could command their minor nations.

Don't know if it would possible, but it would be nice to group units with an HQ. This would allow attacks to be co-ordinated better. Rather than the random method of attachment. I always seem to have my HQ units selecting corps instead of aircraft or tanks!

Gets very confussing when you invade USSR or invade with the Red Storm!