SC2 - Decoy Units

Edwin P.

The UK fielded decoy units to mislead Axis intelligence and miltary responses. The Russians fielded decoy units to mislead the Germans.

Decoy units in SC2 would look and move like a corps unit; however, once in contact with an enemy unit it would be automatically destroyed and the enemy unit could continue moving, but can not retrace their steps.

They would cost 40mpps to build and could only be deployed/moved in their home country. They can not move out of their home country. Players could build 3 Decoy units or 1 real corps unit.

Players would use these units to mislead their opponent about the true disposition of their forces.

Don't you think the scale is off for decoy units to be employed? We are talking about Corps and Armies here.

With the FOW and the inability to see the unit strengths (unless you have ground units within range) what we have would seem sufficient. And the reports, which I hardly ever use, but others use to good effect.

I see decoy units as a tool that enhances the FOW if a player decides to make the investment.

Decoy units placed along the coast of England in range of German Bombers may deter a German Sealion or draw Air Attacks away from real units.

The site of decoy units around UK ports may lead the German unit to increase his garrison of France and Belgium to guard against an invasion.

Russia could use decoy units to hide a hole in the front lines until real units can be deployed. The sight of 3 fake corps units might cause the Axis player delay an attack or draw an attack away from the real units.

Some players would use decoy units, others would not.

It gives players more strategic options and reflects the unpredictability of war. Allied forces created a fake division of plywood tanks and empty tents to hide their Normandy invasion plans knowing this unit would be sighted by German Air Units.

I see decoy units as a tool that enhances the FOW if a player decides to make the investment.

Decoy units placed along the coast of England in range of German Bombers may deter a German Sealion or draw Air Attacks away from real units.

The site of decoy units around UK ports may lead the German unit to increase his garrison of France and Belgium to guard against an invasion.

Russia could use decoy units to hide a hole in the front lines until real units can be deployed. The sight of 3 fake corps units might cause the Axis player delay an attack or draw an attack away from the real units.

It gives players more strategic options and reflects the unpredictability of war. Allied forces created a fake division of plywood tanks and empty tents to hide their Normandy invasion plans knowing this unit would be sighted by German Air Units.

The first time I didn't quite understand, the second time it started making sense, but the third time really lost me.

Not a bad idea but I think most of the decoying involved fake troop movements, in other words the intent to strike at Pas de Calais instead of Normandy and Patton's fake army in Britain. It would be very hard to replicate that in this game.

If we had some sort of espionage and intelligence system I could see it, have true as well as false enemy sightings, but I don't think the answer is to build actual formations.

I'd like to see some sort of espionage and intelligence aspect. The British were particularly adept at these dastardly deeds.

[ March 21, 2003, 02:43 AM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

The scale is to large as somebody said. I dont like the thoughts of decoys, commandos, ss-armies etc etc at all at this level. Its another ball game if the scale is reduced to division/brigade size units.

As I see this artillery units maybe could be implemented, but even that is very doubtful...