AAR Avatar(Allies) vs Terif(Axis) using Avatars house rules

Terif

April 1942:

Heavy battles around Kiev and Minsk - all 9 russian border armies now destroyed and a couple of corps. Odessa conquered.

Time to collect some neutrals...Sweden and Vichy attacked - both conquered within one turn.

May 1942:

Kiev and western russian mine conquered. Reinforcements from Sweden and Vichy moving towards Russia...several russian corps and armies destroyed. Intelligence reports russian forces consists now only of 5 tanks, 2 armies, 5 AFs and some damaged corps...

First UK transport near Kiel - 5 german corps are blocking.

June 1942:

Italian task force attacks Iraq, Bagdad captured by german Africa corps.

Minsk taken. One german tank lost, russian tank and 2 corps killed in return, 2 corps survive at str. 1.

2 russian tanks heavily damaged.

Minor airbattles around London, US AF moved into London and was immediately forced to fight.

German forces take casualties in Russia, but doesn't sound like a big deal as they gain ground in Mother Russia.

RAF & UAF being forced to intercept, LF must have the edge there.

post-Barbarossa & Nazis are gobbling the minors with ease.

...I smell Axis victory...go down swinging Avatar!

June 28, 1942:

Yes, in the west there are 4 german AFs + Manstein vs 1 US AF at the moment - don´t know where the UK AFs are hiding...

Smolensk taken, Kharkov under siege from 3 sides. 4 Axis armies reach Leningrad and reduce entrenchment to zero in a first step (together with some airstrikes).

Known techs:

Germany:

AT 1 ; HT 1 ; AA 2 ; LR 1 ; Jets 1

Italy:

Jets 2

No known allied techs - russian and UK AFs are hiding since a long time.

July 12, 1942:

Russia starts an all or nothing counterattack near Kharkov with everything left. One german tank killed, another one barely survives at str. 1.

The revenge is awful:

4 russian tanks and 3 corps destroyed, huge airfights with russias lv 0 AFs, the remaining russian armies heavily damaged, Kharkov surrounded from 6 sides.

Axis DoW Greece and conquer the capital.

Cease fire until tomorrow morning.

To be continued...

July 26, 1942:

Russian survivors retreat, Axis forces reinforcing. Leningrad and Kharkov captured, 2 armies + corps destroyed.

Western Allies attack in the Med. Several transports and battleships enter the seazone around Sicily. UK AF spotted in Malta.

Italian AFs used against Greece (surrendered this turn) move back to Sicily. Italian navy engages the enemy and kills 2 transports and damage another one.

August 9, 1942:

Mass destruction in the west...

UK corps appear along the french and german coast, supported by 5 UK/US airfleets around London.

US/UK forces land west of Algier and near Tripoli.

Additional transports along the algerian and italian coast - many targets for Axis air and navy...

Royal and US Navy attack (including carriers) near Sicily and sink 2 italian battleships, but 4 german and 2 italian AFs + italian ships respond. Most allied ships and transports heavily damaged, 1 transport and a battleship sunk.

In the east:

German forces advance towards Moskov and Rostov, Mine conquered, several armies and corps destroyed. Siberians expected at the end of the allied turn.

Originally posted by Avatar:

Game over. Was good. I learned much. Wise Yoda, Jedi Master will makes Avatar-Jedi-wanna-be into Jedi Knight one day? smile.gif

The time of the SC1 JEDI KNIGHTS is almost over. THE dark side will take over with SC2 in 4 months :cool:

And the verdict on these rules? From the AAR there is a long period with nothing going on, even worse than the usual games...

I take it Avatar did not try to defend Egypt by sending an HQ via Suez? If not then for sure it will fall eventually even with the restrictions on Axis units in the Med. The middle game would be more interesting if Allies try to hold Egypt. (not saying it is the best strategic choise, just makes a better mid game)

FF

Yep, there is nearly nothing happening during France and Barbarossa. Both sides are not allowed to take any offensive actions against other nations - something that usually gives the other side the possibility to strike back or to attack the weak spots of the enemy (with a wider coast and more land to protect, there are always weak spots during the ´collecting neutrals´ phase). Thats what makes a lot of fun in a normal game: to fight for the neutrals, lay ambushes and assault the enemy.

But with these rules there are no weak spots and no battles cause all units are concentrated in a few areas and most possible counterattack areas are still neutral. Allies are limited to only 3 spots were they could possibly attack and Axis has nothing else to do than to block these spots and do a siege of England - they simply don´t need their units anywhere else.

To take Egypt is no problem for Axis, even in a normal game they don´t need more AFs than 1-2 to do so (to use more is only more comfortable and it goes faster).

In the end I can not recommand these rules. They extremely limit the possibilities and possible strategies for both sides. In principle players have only the choice between 2 things: Sealion or no Sealion. With these rules there is not much strategy involved, the path is clear from the beginning till the end for both sides and they can´t do much different - e.g. after Barbarossa started Russia has also nothing to do, they are not allowed to conquer Finland, Sweden or Turkey (+ consequently no Iraq/Egypt). The only thing they can do is to sit within their country and wait...

Bill101 and I are playing a fun variant where Turkey starts allied (also Allies get some a bid of 200:500:1600 or something like that)

There is lots of action in the Med, he (Allies) took Iraq early and doing everything he can to keep it. But I am about to take Alexandria and am rolling into Turkey (Spain neutral).

:cool:

oh ya, his carriers are busy trashing the north coast of France (attacking empty cities without losses, this never works for me!)