Goodbye to all that

Malleus

Having bought Strategic Command, I was hoping to find a well-informed, helpful player community online. Instead what I found was a community that is generally badly-informed, insulting, argumentative, and unhelpful. I'm going to be much better off deleting this bookmark and figuring things out on my own.

Goodbye. Enjoy treating one another badly.

Ahhh...Malleus....nice to see you..ironically, the reasons you state are exactly why I left your beloved OOTP boards and haven't returned all these many months..... so I can't argue your beliefs since I feel the same way about the OOTP community...though there was a time when those forums were great too.....

I am always puzzled when I read posts like the first one in this thread. Forums are about discussion and debate and while it sometimes gets a bit heated around here; it is nothing compared to the kind of language used in many peer reviews and academic debates.

My sense has always been that, over time and with a full fledged discussion, the wheat will separate itself from the chaff. Malius' view may win out over time on any given subject as long as he is willing to defend it and point out the errors of his opponants.

What this kind of forum is not about is a Socratic debate where one side says something is true and the response is "oh this is so right;" or if there has been a disagreement, the conclusion that "I was wrong and bow before your knowledge and brilliance" is seldom heard.

But, give some credit to the reader. You can fool some of the people all of the time; and even all of the people some of the time. With an honest discussion though, the facts will eventually be known to the discerning reader who wants to look for them.

That's a good point sogard...there was an earlier thread wondering about the quality of the boards lately and I brought up how the mood tends to change in the forums after a game has been out for some time....hell, I'm even guilty of posting a rather overlong and old joke in a recent topic thread...there are always good posts and posters which increase the enjoyment of the game, but since Malleus bought the game now, many of the good topics are buried in pages past...he has an attitude that he does not suffer fools lightly, but unfortunately, he never applies this to himself...had he the patience to search these boards for the informative posts (something he always accuses OOTP newbies of not doing) he would have been supplied with enough information to make his gaming experience more pleasurable...

Oh...and if there is the oft chance that this Malleus is not the OOTP Malleus, then, though I have erred, I feel the points still apply.

[ October 17, 2002, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: J Wagner ]

quote by sogard:

I am always puzzled when I read posts like the first one in this thread. Forums are about discussion and debate and while it sometimes gets a bit heated around here; it is nothing compared to the kind of language used in many peer reviews and academic debates.

My sense has always been that, over time and with a full fledged discussion, the wheat will separate itself from the chaff. Malius' view may win out over time on any given subject as long as he is willing to defend it and point out the errors of his opponants.

What this kind of forum is not about is a Socratic debate where one side says something is true and the response is "oh this is so right;" or if there has been a disagreement, the conclusion that "I was wrong and bow before your knowledge and brilliance" is seldom heard.

But, give some credit to the reader. You can fool some of the people all of the time; and even all of the people some of the time. With an honest discussion though, the facts will eventually be known to the discerning reader who wants to look for them.

actually sometimes people just get sick of arguing with people who dont listen to reason...what is the point of bettering a fool in a discussion? he wont recognize that he is wrong...that said i think that the majority of people on this forum at least know there stuff and dont mind debate; its just that i lmao at some of the absolute stupidity of the people who cant even see that they make themselves appear like children. all they should do is step back and look at what they have said and what they have done to BACK up there statements...but i love this forum...you guys are the best keep up the banter

It just involves a trust in the market place of ideas where, over time, the truth will win out. Of course, this idea is alien to anyone who distrusts open discussion. A good example would be an SS man. An SS man prefers to burn books; eliminate differing opinion and follow psuedo science into racial harmony. Yup, it can be tough to distinguish between Thomas Jefferson and Heinrich Himmler; but, I think the reader, over time, can figure it out. But, maybe not in Oklahomma.

Malleus, it's only a game..... smile.gif

As for the flak people post to each other I find it quite entertaining in a soap opera kind of way, and certaintly do not get upset. As someone said before about wheat/chaff for the real info.

As for the flak people post to each other I find it quite entertaining in a soap opera kind of way
No. It's not entertaining. It's stupid. Take a perfectly decent forum for adult discussions about Strategic Command, WWII grand strategy, and healthy debate about suggestions for improving the game (a GAME!), and turn it into the Jerry Springer Show. It's getting old. All the off-topic stuff and personal zingers should go to General Discussion, or better yet go offline and send an email.

What started this thread was a customer leaving OUR restaurant because a food fight was going on, again. Is that what we're all about? No. Grow up already. :mad:

So, why read this thread Bill? It obviously has nothing to do with what you are interested. The subject was precisely about someone who felt that the tone of this forum was off putting. Nothing about game play or anything else. Yet, you chose to pop in and deliver your pronouncement on what was being discussed.

The discussion about how rude, ignorant and childish everyone else is happens on almost every internet forum in existance. Someone is always taking offense because their brilliance and their viewpoint does not reign supreme (please note I did borrow that phrase from the IRON CHEF tv show and have paid the appropriate royalites to the folks in Tokyo).

My attitude is that the reader can decide all that for himself and the more opinions added the better. If one can not inform at least one can entertain. The one thing I do know is that the following is not very entertaining:

1) Damn, STRATEGIC COMMAND is the best.

2) Yep.

3) Gotta agree with you there.

4) Nuclear Power could improve the game though.

5) Nope. Just fine as it is.

6) Ain't life grand.

7) Especially with a good game like STRATEGIC COMMAND.

8) Life on earth is going to end tomorrow.

9) That's OK because I already got and played STRATEGIC COMMAND.

[ October 18, 2002, 10:16 AM: Message edited by: sogard ]

I don't know if it was his argument (if that is what you want to call it) with me, that set him off. If so, he has a rather thin skin. The argument was basically:

Jeff: States opinion A (something to do with strategic bombing, and not even particularly controversial).

Malleus: A is bogus, and you are stupid for thinking it.

Jeff: Gee, great response. I guess I have been crushed by your irrefutable logic.

Malleus: Spouts something in some not-English language.

Jeff: ???

Someone else: Translates some proverb about his ass or something.

Jeff: Bummer.

Malleus: Decides he needs to post an entire thread letting everyone know he is leaving. Waaaah!!!!

But frankly, from what I have seen, he should probably stay off the internet in general, as it will result in an ulcer or something.

Is there anything more arrogant than posting a thread informing everyone that you are leaving?

Like I said before: Buh-bye!

Jeff

Originally posted by Bill Macon:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> As for the flak people post to each other I find it quite entertaining in a soap opera kind of way

No. It's not entertaining. It's stupid. Take a perfectly decent forum for adult discussions about Strategic Command, WWII grand strategy, and healthy debate about suggestions for improving the game (a GAME!), and turn it into the Jerry Springer Show. It's getting old. All the off-topic stuff and personal zingers should go to General Discussion, or better yet go offline and send an email.

What started this thread was a customer leaving OUR restaurant because a food fight was going on, again. Is that what we're all about? No. Grow up already. :mad: </font>