IRAQ

Amy Aemilius

Has anyone played a campaign with the Allies (Brits) invading Iraq? If I choose to invade, will the Germans or Italians units suddenly appear in Iraq?

The advantage of invading Iraq is the possibility of shifting British forces in the Mediterranean especially airpower to help the Soviets out in 1942. Any advice would be appreciated. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Amy Aemilius:

Has anyone played a campaign with the Allies (Brits) invading Iraq? If I choose to invade, will the Germans or Italians units suddenly appear in Iraq?

The advantage of invading Iraq is the possibility of shifting British forces in the Mediterranean especially airpower to help the Soviets out in 1942. Any advice would be appreciated. :rolleyes:

Actually conquering Iraq helps the BRITISH more

than the Soviets, as any British resources which

can trace a line of supply to Moscow will go from

a supply level of 5 to one of 8. That can mean

bukku bucks (or pounds, rather :D ) for the

Brits to help in building an invasion force for

Overlord.

John DiFool

Actually the British and Soviets invaded Iran in August 1941, and used Iran's railways to ship US goods from the Persian Gulf to the USSR.

Earlier, in May 1941, Britain had invaded Iraq following a pro-Axis nationalist seizure of power in Baghdad. The pro-British monarchy and politicians were restored. After the war, this same pro-British Establishment had serious legitimacy problems and finally were overthrown in a combined coup and revolution in 1958.

The difference, I suppose, between an "n" and a "q." smile.gif

I'm in the middle of a game now. After my PBEM challenge game with Immer Etwas where he tried this strategy, I decided to try it against the AI on intermediate +1 settings. I still don't know how he got everything down there so fast to attack Iraq in late summer 1940. Maybe I'm being more conservative but hit Iraq in early 41. USSR was attacked in Aug 41, conquered Finland in Oct (there's a gamey strategy!), and is holding a decent line along Smolensk-Kharkov in May 42. However, the US just entered due to delayed entry resulting from British aggression in Iraq. The Brits have been fighting a very tough air war over London, and Malta(!). I think the tide's going to change as soon as the US gets its act together but that's a few months off at least. Those extra MPPs from Iraq are nice, but the jury's still out whether it's worth the extra risk and delayed US entry. Still, it's fun to try something different.

If you plan to invade Iraq as the Allies, bring along a HQ for supply. Also be prepared to see the Axis feed in replacements if u don't take it out the first try, or the second, or well u get the idea.

Another added plus to Taking Iraq is the ability to send Uk forces into the Soviet Union when war is declared with the Axis. Having a BEF/Air in Russia holding Rostov and the Kuban can mean more soviets in other areas. And if the Brits get hammered and the Flank turned, Blame Chruchill.