they wanted? I guess I'm getting tired of seeing

AARs which always contain the same message around

turn 3 or 4 of "Both German subs sunk." Allow

them to be put anywhere, and things get a lot more

interesting-can the Allied player afford to send

his naval assets off into the South Atlantic for

a multi-turn sub hunt [which may not ever pan out

when it turns out they are lurking in the Baltic

or Med] when his ships may be needed elsewhere?

[Like to thwart an early Sea Lion]

Yes you probably need to balance things a bit-

extra MPPs for Britian are a start, or maybe an

HQ. But it certainly would spice the early game

up a bit and would be an improvement over the

obligatory death of the 2 start-at-sea U boats.

John DiFool

Why just the subs.

Free set up for every danged counter, that way the nonsense of the perfect opening 39 campaign game goes down in flames as people have to deal with the fact the pieces won't always be where they were last time.

This for everything and every country. Attack a neutral and find that the pieces are not where you thought they would be.

I don't think a concession is required if the subs get free placement. Just means the allied player has to deal with it.

If ALL the pieces were free set up, the German player would have to do a lot more thinking as well.

I agree, in the 1939 Scenario the 2 German subs in the Atlantic should be allowed a free setup or their position should be selected randomly from a set of 3 or 4 possible locations - South Atlantic, MidAtlantic, North Atlantic.

As for the defender of minor countries being able to choose all of their positions in all cases I feel that this would not be proper reflection of a surprise attack on the defending nation and it would lead to the perfect defense strategy for each neutral over time.

[ December 09, 2003, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

I think there would be more spice to the game if neutrals had:

1) Random set up from maybe 3-4 possible pre-coded combinations.

2) Fixed placement for some units but maybe 1 or 2 that can be placed by the defender.

I think it would completely change the game if each player could place his units at the start, and as each major comes into the game. I think Third Reich has a good system for this - basically there would be rules on how many MPP had to be placed in each front/hex section, and it would be up to the player to pick how to set it up within those guidelines. This would force a general historic feel to a game, reflecting the readiness of each nation, but still give significant variation to how the game is played.

I suppose if players agreed they could just say that they can move the starting positions in a mod. Each player would know the new starting points, but it might force a different strategy. No new units would be added. Of course, Russia and US would still end up the same assuming you are starting in 1939.