Other WWII Grand strategy games?

Zeres

What other games with a similar theme to Strategic Command are available for Windows?

I know Axis & Allies ( Iron Blitz) is but what else?

Does anybody know of any older games in the genre that have been converted to Windows?

I don't mess with the DOS stuff anymore on my computer....I've messed up my Windows Config a couple of times trying to get those old games to work. It would be cool if someone made some decent Windows conversions for some of them though. Like Colonial Conquest and Storm Across Europe. A couple of guys on another thread we're talking about High Command.

Software is about the only thing that loses value faster than cars made in America (I have never driven a car, I only know what I hear from car owners that have driven US as well as imports).

If you like a wargame play it, but know its time will come when your computer won't associate with it any more (and you thought fashion was fickle).

I simply can not think of any wargame ala SC style setting worthy of comment. SC is currently it. I am unsure if Hearts of Steel is worth praise at this time (any comments?).

I could mention a few board games, but we all know you want software selections.

So telling you to get Pacific War or Advanced Third Reich or World in Flames accomplishes nothing (those three are board games).

You CAN buy a copy of Victory: the Blocks of War from Columbia games, if you want to buy a board game that is actually new to the shelves (unlike the above three mentioned titles) and is as straightforward and easy to play as SC is (but yep it is a board game).

Victory uses red vs blue but it is intensionally designed to mimic WW2.

A big perk is it can be expanded to allow for several players (just try saying that about any blasted wargame worth buying at the Strategic level eh, software games included).

Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1b:

I am unsure if Hearts of Steel is worth praise at this time (any comments?).

It's called Hearts of Iron. I am sort of looking forward to it, but it's real-time nature and apparent over-abundance of detail may be cause for concern.

[ October 08, 2002, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: Ancient One ]

You CAN buy a copy of Victory: the Blocks of War from Columbia games, if you want to buy a board game that is actually new to the shelves (unlike the above three mentioned titles) and is as straightforward and easy to play as SC is (but yep it is a board game).

Good God Sarge, mentioning WIF and a block game in the same reply.... ;)

[ October 08, 2002, 11:03 PM: Message edited by: Yohan ]

Ya know, COmmand HQ was fun back when I had a 286 PC. Actually, that PC is in the basement somewhere.

The old V for Victory series (America invades, etc.) were VERY good grand strategy games. So were the Gary Grigsby games (forget the names now).

Any of you wargamers would be well advised to keep at least one comp (come on, we all have at LEAST two or three to our names by now) around to play old DOS games. YOU KNOW, boot into DOS 6.1 and all smile.gif

Zeres,

I found these on the internet,

http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/products/products.html

These are game by John Tiller that look pretty good. I have not played any of these yet- the games are quite expensive and I do not believe they are grand strategy. I like the ability to control production and declare war. It can be a little boring just playing out a specified engagement (Like Battle of the Bulge, Korsun etc.) as there are set units predetermined. I like games like this that Hubert made on the grand level. It would be nice to have a bit more flexibilty and I like that Hubert and company have been making patches and listing to player suggestions.

I still have an old V for Victory game.

Okay, I found it! Dang...old memories here.

It's Battleset 1: D-Day Utah Beach 1944.

There's a sticker in the corner that blares "Uses Super VGA!". I might need to upgrade to play this one! smile.gif

Have all the manuals plus a single disk (3.5"). Says it has nearly 500 military units, including air, sea and land broken up into 9 major types of units and 50 sub types. 8 types of combat including probes, air attacks, and all out assaults. Realistic weather effects and weather forecasts. Comes with 6 scenarios along with the "Grand Campaign".

I gotta figure out how to get this sucker running on my comp.

Hehe Yohan detail doesn't make a game great eh smile.gif Nor does making one simple great either.

SC might be to simple to some and to complex to others. Personally I think it's biggest strength is its interface actually.

If you gave me a fully completed Computer World in Flames game with the current look the demo has, and even gave it to me for free, odds are I would not play it. The interface is the most wretched thing I have ever seen in wargaming for the computer.

World In Flames for the board game market though is a good game to be sure. But don't try fitting it in anything other than a wargamming on room.

While on the other hand, with Victory, even a small dinet will do.

And the basic nature of the map design is such, that even an artistically challenged person can hand draw a few bonus maps if they reeeeeally want to. Although the company markets several add on maps that make this unnecessary.

Victory is not an idiot simple game though, any more than chess is. Simple does not mean easy.

I can likely win a game easier in WiF than I can in Victory actually.

I have had to really think to win games in Axis and Allies when playing a good opponent. I can sometimes run circles around a player in ASL just because I am having a run of good fortune.

it is often not the game but the player that counts, but a good game usually helps. And a good game can be either simple of complex.

It's why I put SC on the christmas list eh. In spite of some design concerns, it likely does what it does quite well.

Went to the Hearts of Iron page...Wow..This one looks like a winner! Brilliant idea to start with Universalis engine to create a World War II game. They are going to use a WORLD MAP...and any nation even minor ones will be playable....