Idea for possible House Rule: The Air War

I decided to go through my library of read-books and get a little info on possible putting forth a houserule that will eleviate the gamey strategy of a dozen airfleets pounding on army on the front line. (U know its happened to you :D )

Here are some numbers

17 May 43

Serviceable Aircraft Strengths

Single-engined fighters -980

Twin-engined day fighters -114

Night fighters -378

Fighter-bombers -216

Specialized ground attack aircraft -61

Dive-bombers -413

Twin-engined bombers -1269

Four-engined bombers -33

Long-range reconaissance aircraft- 215

Short-range and army cooperation aircraft- 251

Coastal aircraft- 149

Transport aircraft- 414

Total -4641

As of now, this can be represented by 4 Af's and 1 strat bomber

Now, german aircraft production peaked about 1 year after these figures, reachin about a 5 AF and 1 Strat level.

Source:

Alfred Price. Luftwaffe Data Book, 1997.

So, the point is, the limit for german air units should be, 5 af's, 1 strat

For Russians, 7 Af's

Ami's 3 Af's 2 strat

Brits, 3 Af's 1 strat

italians 2 af's

What u think?

CVm

People ignore building Navys in SC, if any nation turned away there ship building to aircraft production they could build Alot more Airfleets, with all the materials in lets say the Bismark Germany could have built 150 dive bombers or fighters in a quarter of the time, so if players limit buying Naval units they can build more airfleets.

Great stats though.

[ June 07, 2003, 11:51 PM: Message edited by: Brad T. ]

Posted May 25th. Other than the responses shown, no further response was received.

==================================================

zappsweden

There are two decisions that you made that I would like to be reconsidered (ie I'm appealing your initial rulings). I have presented my arguments on why they should be changed. I await your final decisions.

Z-league PBEM Games

Issue: Can a PBEM game be counted as a Zappleague game?

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nope

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are alot of players who may be limited in thier ability to play TCP. This also allows the option of starting as TCP and finishing as PBEM (or vice versa).

From the response about House Rules, I gather you are concerned that PBEM games open up the opportunity of cheating. My response is the same as below.

Z-league House Rules

Issue: Limit on the number of air units.

(US 3, USSR 3, Germany 4, Italy 2, UK 2, Fr 2)

quote:

Nope, z-league will not allow any house rules. The idea is, if those house rules are good (and tested in fun games) they will be standard i.e set as rules of the z-league.

I think you are being a little too rigid about the House Rules. Forcing it to be part of the "standard" set of rules eliminates any player from taking a chance and trying the House Rule.

In effect, there is no possibility of optional rules and stifles creativity.

quote:

There is too much confusion, possibility of accusations and stuff if ppl use house rules. [Example] Say, one person accidently buys one air too much [House Rule limit on number of air units], does that means he loses instantly or does he have to sell it next turn? What if he already bought it and used it in a battle?

Valid point. You are concerned about the opportunity of abuse. You would handle it the same way you would if you thought the person was cheating.

I'll tell you what I would do, since everyones response would be different. After being told, or pointing it out, I would ask that they correct the mistake. As in disband the unit. Any losses I sufferred as a result, I would simply accept. Can't undo it. Second time I would do same thing. Third time, I'd finish the game, but would no longer play that person using the House Rule (probably not at all).

Originally posted by Shaka of Carthage:

Posted May 25th. Other than the responses shown, no further response was received.

zappsweden

There are two decisions that you made that I would like to be reconsidered (ie I'm appealing your initial rulings). I have presented my arguments on why they should be changed. I await your final decisions.

Z-league PBEM Games

Issue: Can a PBEM game be counted as a Zappleague game?

quote:

Nope

There are alot of players who may be limited in thier ability to play TCP. This also allows the option of starting as TCP and finishing as PBEM (or vice versa).

From the response about House Rules, I gather you are concerned that PBEM games open up the opportunity of cheating. My response is the same as below.

Z-league House Rules

Issue: Limit on the number of air units.

(US 3, USSR 3, Germany 4, Italy 2, UK 2, Fr 2)

quote:

Nope, z-league will not allow any house rules. The idea is, if those house rules are good (and tested in fun games) they will be standard i.e set as rules of the z-league.

I think you are being a little too rigid about the House Rules. Forcing it to be part of the "standard" set of rules eliminates any player from taking a chance and trying the House Rule.

In effect, there is no possibility of optional rules and stifles creativity.

quote:

There is too much confusion, possibility of accusations and stuff if ppl use house rules. [Example] Say, one person accidently buys one air too much [House Rule limit on number of air units], does that means he loses instantly or does he have to sell it next turn? What if he already bought it and used it in a battle?

Valid point. You are concerned about the opportunity of abuse. You would handle it the same way you would if you thought the person was cheating.

I'll tell you what I would do, since everyones response would be different. After being told, or pointing it out, I would ask that they correct the mistake. As in disband the unit. Any losses I sufferred as a result, I would simply accept. Can't undo it. Second time I would do same thing. Third time, I'd finish the game, but would no longer play that person using the House Rule (probably not at all).

Ok, the today answers would be, nope no PBEM. PBEM would be an obstacle for many ppl. Say, if some of the top-5 are PBEM players, how would IP players get a chance to move to the top?

PBEM could work very well, but in a different league created for the purpose. It seems to be the standard way, check out the other games of www.myleague.com and u will see.

The other thing is concerning house rules. House rules listed (currently only one) are the mandatories. You are allowed to play a game (upon agreement with your opponent) with more house rules than the mandatories.

May I make a suggestion? If the total number of ground based air units become restricted, won't this start a carrier building race instead?

If build limits are established for ground based air, perhaps in the same rule limits should also be put on permitted numbers of carriers.