Ryder cup Kuniworth vs Wachtmeister TCP/IP

Kuniworth

Now it is really getting strange:

When I copy the game save you sent me SC will not even start the TCP/IP game from the menu. Instead I get this message"

"The TCIP directory is unreadable. It may contain games from previous versions."

When I delete the Wachmeister save from the SC\TCP/IP directory, it returns to normal, but I still cannot get the P/W to work on my autosave.

Surely you are not playing with a prevuous version?

Suggest two alternatives:

1. Call it a night for now and I'll work with my autosave to see if I can get in. If I can't crack it I see little alternative to restarting.

2. Restart now.

Take your pick.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good night - E-mail me what you want to do. I'll work on my aurosave and notify you by tomorrow morning if I have any luck.

In the interim I checked the tech forum, and found that some problems had been encountered with files being transmitted as read only. However, I have checked the properties of the save file you sent me and it is OK - not read only.

hmm, this sounds as if Wachtmeisters password is wrong...

Some things:

About the unreadable SC directory:

This has been addressed in the tech section before. This is probably because the file Kuniworth sent you has been set to "read only" from the e-mail programm/provider. Check the properties of the file and change it to read and write.

About Kuniworth launching the game and Wachtmeister still at the password screen:

This happened sometimes to me too. As soon as you join the IP address, the host enters the game. It is not necessary that the opponent enters the password (it is enough to join). But if the host tries to move units or send messages before the other player entered his password, the game looses connection and displays a retrieval error.

Solution:

If this is the first time you two continue the game and Wachtmeister didnt enter the correct password sometimes after the start, then I guess he entered something else as password than he has written down.

Only possibility I see is to try all possible variations of the password. If you are very lucky it is only a technical problem and it is enough if both of you reboot and then connect again, but I dont believe it....

My autosave is not an option. I had forgotten that I had played another TCP/IP game since our match started. The P/W for that game, of course, works. I did not make a unigue save for this game, as I always do when I host. This mistake will not be repeated. I will make a few unique saves from now on - hosting or not.

If the European side want's a "Technical" win that bad - I say take it. - So much for the spirit of honorable competition. You folks might consider lightening up a tad - this is a game that's supposed to be fun.

As far as who screwed up the save it was not me. As stated above, my mistake was not making my own unigue save. I may have somehow messed up the password, although I cannot imagine how with a simple 6 letter password. However, anything is possible, since I'm probably the worst typist on the planet. In any case, there was no intent on either side to mess up this game, and

no one regrets the need to restart more than I.

Enough discussion. Either take your "Technical win" if you believe that to be fair. Or let's restart and get on with the game. Just let me have your decision and, I'll proceed accordingly.