Censorship on electronic BBs

Think of this forum as someone's home.

Should you be allowed to pick fights here?

Should you be allowed to use foul language here?

Should you be allowed to conduct illegal activities here?

Should you be allowed to offend the hosts friends here?

We have freedom of speech both in Canada and in the US, but that is normally conducted out on the street eh, not inside my home.

I would not allow any of the above, why should any private or commercial forum be required to do it?

This isn't the street, it's someone's place.

well-dressed gentleman,

I agree with Comrade, no point pushing it on the forum, that's self-destructive.

Better to write some e-mail if you want to help Rambo possibly be reinstated. Here's the addresses to reach each of the sites four admins.

Matthew, MadMatt

matt@battlefront.com,

Martin, Moon

martin@battlefront.com,

Hubert Cater, Designer of SC & SC2

hcater@furysoftware.com,

Dan, KwazyDog

dan@battlefront.com

They're easy to deal with, especially if they aren't told they have to do something, but rather just given your viewpoint on why Rambo should be reinstated for the good of the community.

Originally posted by it's Les:

Should you be allowed to pick fights here?

Should you be allowed to use foul language here?

Should you be allowed to conduct illegal activities here?

Should you be allowed to offend the hosts friends here?

Funny thing is you were close to getting banned yourself for advertising for Matrixgames. Then you thought the moderators sucked. Now you write letters to congratulate them.

Do you feel proud of yourself?

Do you feel that you are acting in the interest of SC?

I think you should seriously start to think about it. And no I don't want some long answer from you on this one, just think about it.

[ December 23, 2004, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: Kuniworth ]

"Funny thing is you were close to getting banned yourself for advertising for Matrixgames. Then you thought the moderators sucked. Now you write letters to congratulate them."

I beleive they were concerned about my at the time over enthusiastic link inclusion in my posts Kuni.

You of course knew that, yet you post it like it happened yesterday.

Nice bit of clever misinformation.

The fact that I have not been on good terms with the Matrix Games forums tends to make your old news item rather silly don't you think?

I have expressed opinions for and against many people in the past. It's called an opinion of course, and I am also free to modify alter or completely reverse it as I see fit. It is after all MY opinion after all.

"Free speech" doesn't mean that *everything* is allowed. People often forget that. There always have to be some rules, and some people that enforce them, in order to keep a forum open for everybody to participate. Moderation and administration are a necessary evil. Everyone at Battlefront would prefer to do something else instead, believe me that, like for example make good games.

Oh, and I am locking this. Not censorship, but locking a discussion because it's not going to lead anywhere except down. Just like a thread will get locked when it gets too personal or abusive.

Martin