Allies Invade Italy 1940

JonM

Please forgive me I am new to this.

I wonder if others are invading Italy with Allies in 1940? I use One French corp from Southern France and the Gib garrison. Take Palermo and Taranto on the turn Italy declares war.

I wonder if the game might not be better served if one of the Italian armies started off as two corps - one in Palermo and Taranto.

Thank you.

JonM

New to SC. Still just playing with the DEMO until my copy arrives. On the topic of the Allies? Can anyone enlighten me about other options. These are all good ones. I've been toying with England invading Ireland? Or even After France falls attacking Vichy France? I've tried hitting Norway but it appears too costly. It appears England should sit tight and build up to prevent Sea Lion? Thanks. tongue.gif

Originally posted by Carl Von Mannerheim:

DONT INVADE IRELAND, YOU CANT GET OUT!

This is true, but it is still worth invading. Just make sure you only land one corps. You will make back the cost of your corps in 6-12 turns depending on your tech levels. Or you could use a "free" unit, such as a Canadian corps, that you know will never benifit from HQs.

You also get a ~300MPP plunder bonus which pays for the corps right off!

Norway should be very doable aswell, aslong as the Germans haven't taken it smile.gif

[ October 01, 2002, 10:08 AM: Message edited by: Flashblade ]

Originally posted by Twiddle:

How does one defend against Italian pre-emptive invasion in 1940 by the Allies? Is there a house rule or game rule preventing this in PBEM?

There is no game rule against it. Houses rules have to be agreed upon by the players before they begin.

Wanted to Thank you all for your advice. I played the Allies 1940. Used the Canadian Corps along with British Corps and landed in Palermo and Bari (Southern Italy). Royal Navy and French Navy defeating the Italian Fleet. This caused the German AI to send troops away from France to bolster the Italians. I was able to keep France in the war till May 1941! smile.gif . At the same time with Yugoslavia joing the allies I was able to land a British Corps in the Balkans and help the Yugoslav Army capture one of the oilfields in Rumania. As Germany was using Rumanians and Hugarians to fight in Italy. :D

I think this is in the manual, but here goes:

The maximum value for a captured city or port is "8". The maximum value for *any* city or port which cannot trace an unbroken, overland path of "friendly" hexes to a friendly capital is "5". The exception to this is occupied cities/ports in Russia. The max values for these are "5" (not cut off from capital) and "3" (cut off from capital).

I think the Axis would have to screw up really badly for you to be able to take Italy out of the war completely that way, but it can make Italy pretty anemic. It makes a pretty good distraction and resource drain on the Axis during the early stages of the war, but it costs the Brits a lot of time and MPPs, too.

It seems like even when I try this without using the French from Algeria (put them on the border instead, to keep a close eye on the Italians in the north & exploit any opportunities that might arise), it actually seems to accelerate the fall of France. Sure, it annoys the Italians, but eventually the Germans show up in force (read - commit air) and start kicking my rear. Even if I build and send in a British HQ and half the fleet from England (including both carriers).

I can see how it would probably work against the AI at Beginner/+0 (haven't tried, but suspect it would), but I just can't seem to make it worthwhile at Intermediate/+1.

Can anyone tell me what I am missing?

Well I tried the strategy of sending the Canadian army to Palermo and a British corp to Bari. Guess what? The Axis AI redeployed armies in Palermo and Bari. The Italian fleet then proceeded to sink both transports. Walla, this strategy doesn't work 100% of the time. I think Hubert did a good job of programming changes to the Axis AI strategy. Perhaps there are other surprises that the Axis or Allies AI may sprung on a human player. :eek:

Post on behalf of Doug Mangin in response to my earlier post:

Originally posted by Gman:

New to SC. Still just playing with the DEMO until my copy arrives. On the topic of the Allies? Can anyone enlighten me about other options. These are all good ones. I've been toying with England invading Ireland? Or even After France falls attacking Vichy France? I've tried hitting Norway but it appears too costly. It appears England should sit tight and build up to prevent Sea Lion? Thanks. tongue.gif

This may very well seem a poor strategy for most, but it has worked in virtually every game I have played. It is virtually a given that france falls to all but the worst axis player (human or ai) so the game for a time pits britian versus germany. britain is safe so long as it can prevent a sea lion and keep germany on the mainland. However I find britain is lacking in mpp's and at times can almost break due to german tec advances and sheer economic superiority.

So here has been my strategy lately - britain needs to seize some cheap easy mpps - in places that germany cannot or will not be able to drive them out. So my first task is to nail the uboats and free the atlantic for my own use. move all of the med fleet to gibralter (or at least to the west med) and bring all of my carriers to the spanish/portugal coast. use just two units, any more is a waste - attack and conquer portugal. You get the bonus mpps plus the 5 per turn from lisbon.

OK task two is usually taken at the same time or sometimes before the above action. move the corp in alexandria to syria and attack iraq. you wont conquer it without at least 4 ground units, a hq, and usually an air force. But you dont need to conquer it all at once. Just take control of the two oil fields and you receive 10 mpps per turn for the rest of the game. If you are worried about defending egypt (I have never had the axis attack) then either sneak a corps in or move the french unit there to defend. Either way so long as the british unit is in the area, the one corps in baghdad will not move - for fear of you taking the capital. guaranteed mpp's - little or no risk and virtually no way for the axis to attack.

Third, and this is where the risk is a bit greater. Let france fend for herself. sacrificing her air force for mpps isnt a bad idea - she will never be able to stand up to german air units and they just end up being destroyed or draining your funds to replenish the unit. Perhaps use the canadian units to defend. Regardless as soon as you are able - take whatever forces you have and attack spain. You need to do this as quickly as possible - otherwise germany gains too much of a benefit from spanish production. and if germany takes france before you are finished you are screwed. you will need a hq and several corps (from gibralter and the ones left in portugal), a tank if possible, and usually whatever air force you can muster. DONT attack more than one unit at a time. The spanish units dont move - by moving they are risking industrial centers. So I start with the capital - use all of your forces to attack. It may take more than one turn - but I almost always take this fairly soon. Target each unit left and take them out one by one. Usually when three units are destroyed spain falls. You get the plunder and constant production from spanish industry (something like 20 mpps). Move your forces to either france to defend, or more likely to the french/spanish border and dig in. This forces germany to either live with you down there, or spend more time attacking in the west. - while the clock ticks.....

Either way you gain the mpps from all three areas.

One final idea that works most of the time - if you have one, or better two corps to spare, move them to seize the southern italian industry and sicily. sicily has no forces there, and if you move your transport to the east coast of italy you will not encounter the fleets stationed in the port. Either way you are guaranteed the port and industry in sicily and there is no risk - other than bringing italy into the way early - which italy is virtually a minor country in this game - taking her few resources further weakens it.

The goal in all of these is to gain easy mpp bonuses and an increased stream of mpps per turn to allow britain to invest in tech and defend the mainland. which that is the weakness of this strategy - you DO leave the mainland weakened - but you are also causing germany and italy to stretch themselves to put out fires in other places - decreasing the chance they will pull a sea lion. And if these work you can quickly rebuild the homeland defence and better fend off germany until the cavalry arrives.

Try one or all these and let me know what you find - also just give your opinion or suggestions on these strategies.