Review at Gamer's Temple

iolo

Gamer's Temple Strategic Command Review

It's actually a pretty poorly written piece and I won't personally go into the numerous mistakes (except to note that if you were to make a guess as to which hex-based board game this was inspired by, you would guess "Hitler's War" and most certainly not "Third Reich.")

Anyway, the interesting thing was that the reviewer gives it 68% but the reader's give it 84%.

You're correct, definitely more like "Hitler's War", a game I always loved due to its compact size, i.e. not millions of SPI counters and such.

The Paradox game that's in the works, "Hearts of Iron" I think it's called, will probably work on a global, political level like "Third Reich" and "Empire of the Rising Sun".

<<When playing as the Axis, the invasion of Belgium is always an exercise in frustration. It can take many turns to conquer the capital as the Belgian army stationed there entrenches itself, takes damage from attacking forces during the turn, and is then promptly restored to full strength by Britain>>

LOL! Obviously this guy sucks at playing. I tend to think that I am not very good, and I have never had a problem with Belgium.

Originally posted by Rudel:

LOL! Obviously this guy sucks at playing. I tend to think that I am not very good, and I have never had a problem with Belgium.

No doubt! If it takes me more than 2 or 3 turns to take out Belgium then it means I had horrible luck on my battle results. You're right, he obviously doesn't know what he's doing. Me thinks he isn't qualified to comment on the game!

'The AI also tends to follow the same script at the opening of some of the game's scenarios. For example, in the 1944 scenario, an Allied computer player always lands its forces at Normandy.'

Isn't that exactly what happened in reality at that time? Maybe it's ment to be this way?

'When at sea, their position is not hidden from the enemy and they do not get any special advantage for striking first. '

Guy obviously never heard of FOW

Well, I think the guy is just used to playing different wargames. If you're used to being able to attack, then move, then move a second unit in to attack the same spot, you're going to bottleneck hopelessly in Strat Comm. Big sweeping moves and breakthroughs like those in TOAW will get you nowhere here, and almost all of the wargames in recent memory (all 3-4 of them!) have been on this tactical scale. I've got a feeling that's what happened in his Belgium scenario. Afterall, the Ardennes is only one hex. I just think he hadn't yet adjusted to the new scale and different game mechanics and should have played more before writing the review.