Try Combining!

Marc

I combined Holzems excellent interface and maps with Jmbunnelle new counters. Must say, VERY IMPRESSIVE! Maybe Jmbunnelle can "borrow" Holzem's HQ to continue to picture theme on the counters? WELL DONE to both of you!

Marc

That's the great thing about mods.... just mix and match to your hearts desire!

I do the same thing all the time with other games, and also with StratComm.... lots of people (including me) don't always have the time or energy to create graphic mods. But in those cases, I think it's cool that any user can combine existing mods into his/her own personal act of creation.

My own mod ("Elite Edition") is really just a combination of elements that I personally like: military maps, pseudo-military green colors, and operational symbolism. But if I hadn't created it, I would undoubtedly have been experimenting with other folks' mods to create something of my own.

That's why I think it's fantastic that some software authors (Hubert!) use graphical elements that are infinitely moddable in their games. It allows users to add their own personal touch and will always add to the longevity of the game. I'm certain there are some game authors out there who consider a graphical mod as some sort of "slap in the face" to their own creations; in reality, however, I believe that's it's just the opposite -- any user who develops a mod is really just complimenting the author by spending his own time and energy on a testament to that earlier work.

Sort of like saying: "I really love your stuff, <insert author/developer here>. Now let me give something back."

Just some thoughts. smile.gif

- Holzem

Originally posted by HolzemFrumFloppen:

I'm certain there are some game authors out there who consider a graphical mod as some sort of "slap in the face" to their own creations; in reality, however, I believe that's it's just the opposite -- any user who develops a mod is really just complimenting the author

I agree, I mean who is going to take the time to modify the graphics on a game they don't like to play?

Originally posted by RCMP:

I tried a search, anyone have the links for the above Mod's. Wiped the old HD and lost them!!

Thanks

RCMP:

Here is a download link to my own mod (SC "Elite Edition"):

SC "Elite Edition" (full download - 3.4megabytes)

... and here is the link to J.M.'s excellent icon set:

JBunnelle's Force-Specific Icons

My own mod comes with military symbol icons. If you don't like those, simply download JBunnelle's iconset and overwrite the one that comes with mine. Read the README file in the ZIP for more detailed instructions.

Enjoy!

- Holzem

Originally posted by Marc:

I combined Holzems excellent interface and maps with Jmbunnelle new counters. Must say, VERY IMPRESSIVE! Maybe Jmbunnelle can "borrow" Holzem's HQ to continue to picture theme on the counters?

Marc

"Borrow?" Well, I could "steal" them. :D

I still can't do the "little army men" thing, so I've got jmbunnelle's new tanks and planes, along with Jorgen's infantry and rockets... looks great to me!

I'm changing the back grounds on the infantry to match JMB's great work.

You guys are masters!

Aloid

Aloid,

Could you give a brief tutorial on how to "mix & match" the unit counters? I have managed to get the mod downloads installed, but can't quite see how to have one person's planes and another's ships, etc. :confused:

If the process is too long and involved for a simple post, you could e-mail me when you have time. Thanks. smile.gif

Originally posted by Immer Etwas:

Aloid,

Could you give a brief tutorial on how to "mix & match" the unit counters? I have managed to get the mod downloads installed, but can't quite see how to have one person's planes and another's ships, etc. :confused:

Immer, hope this works for you!

I’ll try to stay concise… (but it got long anyway)

=== Part one: placing files ===

1. Using “My Computer” (File Manager, MS exploder)

2. Create or use an existing temporary folder (any name will do) for the following:

3. Unzip only one of the modded unit_sprit files into this folder.

4. Rename the unit_sprites.bmp to something unique (ex. JC_unit_sprites.bmp)

5. Repeat the process of unzipping each mod and renaming the unit_sprites.bmp file, until all are done, and all are uniquely named.

=== Part two: using MS paint to do simple mix/match/edit ===

1. Double click on one of the newly named unit_sprites.bmp files.

2. This should bring up the Windows “paint” program… if it does not… it may give you a list of programs to open the file with. Pick “Microsoft Paint”

3. If you still don’t have the file open … I may not be able to help via this forum.

4. If a different program comes up… close the one that’s open

5. Right click on the file, and select “open with” and “choose program”, which will give you a list. Pick “Microsoft Paint”

6. If you have the MS Paint program up for the file, then you are in business

7. Repeat the above until all of the unit sprite files are open. (you should have each on accessible via the tray at the bottom or side of your screen (depending on your machine)

=== Part three: editing === (The follwoing is done while in MS Paint)

1. look at each unit sprites file, and pick the one with the most unit icons that you want to keep.

2. This will be the file you edit, so do a “save-as” (file/save as) and give it a name like unit_sprites_work.bmp.

The fun part!!!

3. Goto one of the files you want to copy units from.

4. Click on the dotted-line rectangle (select) just below the word “edit” on the menu bar.

5. Slide your cursor over the units and it will look like a cross.

6. It is probably a good idea to also click “View” then “Custom” then 200% from the menu bar, to get a better look at what you will be copying.

7. Now, position the cross-cursor at one corner of a unit (or group of units), click-and-drag the select box around you victim. You’ll see the select box you are creating.

8. Important to notice that the box size will snap/adjust to the pixel size. Be sure not to grab too much or too little. Once you have the selection you want…

9. Select “Edit” then “Copy” from the menu.

10. Switch to the “work” file where we’ll paste the units.

11. Select “Edit” and “Paste”.

12. The pasted selection may look out of place!!!!!

13. The dotted box should still be there. Put your cursor over it, and click-drag to move the box to where you want to see the units “land” in the file. Pay attention to the pink X’s, which set the boundary for the unit icon.

14. Once all is in place (aligned), click somewhere outside the box to “fix” the pasted selection in place.

15. If you make a mistake, there is an “Undo” function in the “Edit” menu option.

16. Play around with it. You’re not going to hurt anything.

17. Fool around with the “pick color”, “fill color”, “pencil”, and other tools below the dotted box (select) tool.

18. Save the work file every once in a while, in case you really mess things up. It’s a good idea to do this after a good pasting (ha!) You can always reload it.

Have fun!!

Aloid

Hey Aloid! thanks -- duty above and beyond... I truly didn't realize it would require all of that detail.

Perhaps it's easier than it sounds, rather like trying to explain to someone -- how to ride a bicycle... see here Beginner, first you hitch up your pants, then regard the device as your potential Friend, then put a finger up to see which way the wind blows, and now! try out the handlebar horn, etc, etc -- the actual experience simpler and more intuitive than the written explanation. ;)

Anyway, all of us who would like to mix & match can refer to your post. :cool:

Originally posted by Immer Etwas:

<snip> ... (ouch)

Perhaps it's easier than it sounds, rather like trying to explain to someone -- how to ride a bicycle... <snip>... (ouch)

:cool:

That's exactly it. Once you do it, it's VERY simple. Explaining it so someone does not get lost, is the hard part.

Don't let the volume of words turn you away... Actually, that's a silly statement to someone as voluminous in vocabulary as yourself! ;)

If you want, I'll send you my mix. I've been updating Jorgens infantry so they match the other new units (which are slightly bigger by the way).

Aloid

Aloid,

Yes, send your rendition right along, appreciate it. smile.gif

As for the vocabulary, thanks, but it's not so very much... just that -- growing up I was only allowed ONE HOUR of TV per week (... sometimes it's hard to fathom, those old folk ways, I know... ) and so I either played baseball, or read books.

Nothing exceptional, mostly repetition, like building up a bicep muscle, etc. smile.gif