Direct X detection not working

willgamer

I have the DX8.1, but with the demo patch, SC gives an error msg that Direct X 7.0 or later not detected.

I have re-installed both DX and SC with no change.

Athlon 800; 512mb ram; Asus K7V mb

Creative Riva TNT Graphics Blaster

Creative SB value edition

What else can I tell you?

OK I'll have to double check the detection performed by SC, but if you are positive that you have DirectX 7.0 or higher installed on your system, and SC has already tried to detect DirectX, then you can set the line in your 'SC.ini' file 'directx = 0' to 'directx = 1' and it should work fine.

Edit: Actually I just realized that changing this line won't work right now, could you also tell me if the file 'SC.ini' has had either of the following text added to it after the first time you run the patched 'SC.exe':

"DirectX 7.0 or higher not installed"

or

"DirectX 7.0 or higher installed"

If not then check the read/write permissions on the file and make sure that the file is writable as this will also have an affect on the new patch.

Btw, what OS are you using, and if you can let me know where the file 'dx7vb.dll' is on your system that will help me track this one down.

Hubert

[ July 29, 2002, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: Hubert Cater ]

HC,

Thanks for the quick reply:

Win98se

ini file=; added by SC runtime (07/29/2002)

DirectX 7.0 or higher not installed

dx7vb.dll in c:\windows\system

game in d:\games\strat demo

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 7/29/2002, 14:15:45

Machine name: SEEKER

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 98 (4.10, Build 2222) A

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer:

System Model:

BIOS:

Processor: AMD Athlon Processor, MMX, 3DNow, ~800MHz

Memory: 510MB RAM

Page File: 0MB used, 300MB available

Primary File System: FAT

DirectX Version: DirectX 8.1 (4.08.01.0881)

DX Setup Parameters: /WindowsUpdate

DxDiag Version: 4.08.01.0881 32bit

[ July 29, 2002, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: willgamer ]

Says Direct X 7.0 not found. Doesnt seem to be effecting game play. Running 98 SE.
Correct, it should not affect game play at all since I have it default to the original setup if it *thinks* it can't find it. The only affect will be that if your system has the desktop problems reported you will not notice the difference just quite yet.

Actually Marc, if you have some time, please send me an email at hcater@furysoftware.com and I'll try and figure this offline with you and report back here when I have a proper solution.

Thanks for the quick reply:

Win98se

ini file=; added by SC runtime (07/29/2002)

DirectX 7.0 or higher not installed

dx7vb.dll in c:\windows\system

game in d:\games\strat demo

OK this part seems to be working properly, and if you could also send me an email at hcater@furysoftware.com I'll try and figure this one offline with you as well, since this seems to be the same problem with Marc, and then I'll report back here once I get a proper solution to the detection issue.

Hubert

Is the problem only with people who updated the Gold Demo or does doing a completely new install of the new demo cause problems as well?
I first updated the Gold demo, then deleted and reinstalled from the full download.

No go either way.