What's different about a blitz attack?

Notelrac

Great game. I'm considering giving up sliced bread for the duration. :)

The manual states that "normal combat" is when you start the turn next to an enemy unit, and attack it. And "blitz combat" is when you move a few hexes next to an enemy unit, and then attack it.

However, the manual does not explain whether there is an actual difference between the two. Is a negative combat modifier applied if a non-tank unit does a blitz attack?

I have noticed a difference if the unit attacks from a different direction, however. Anyone else notice this? This seems to vary with the distance to the target. Realistically, combat power should drop off as distance to target increases, to represent friction and extended logistics bleeding away combat power.

I have the following two observations to make, that may have bearing on your comment:

1. Terrain matters. Units sitting in a river hex attack with reduced effect.

2. Units that sit in the same hex for a few turns appear to attack with increased effect. This may be due to improved supply.

2. Units that sit in the same hex for a few turns appear to attack with increased effect. This may be due to improved supply.
I have noticed once or twice that an AF had a higher readiness than I expected. I didn't identify a cause, but maybe your observation is the reason.

Gorski