Surrender and units remaining questions

Good Soldier Svejk

Hello All,

I have read that a nation's surrender is contingent upon three things:

1) Loss of capital (or capital and alternates)

2) Number of remaining units

3) National characteristics

My questions:

1) If a country loses its capital(s) and still does not surrender, is there a probability of it surrendering each turn from then on, or will it only surrender if loses more units, eventually reaching some limit?

2) In either case above, when calculating the value of remaining units for surrender, are all units equal or do armies and HQs, for instance, count for more than corps?

3) If there is a probability of surrender, does it grow with time?

4) If a country loses its capital(s) and does not surrender at that point, is it assured of not surrendering so long as it does not lose another unit?

Any observations would be welcome (or even answers :D )

Salute!

You know I was wondering the same thing. In a recent game, Poland surrendered and yet I had 2 good sized corps near the capital, but in another game, they did NOT surrender with similar forces in contention. Likely a random event. :confused:

I am not specifically answering your question because I don't know the exact "surrender conditions," of each country, but it would be helpful to know what they are. OTOH, maybe it IS more interesting to discover this (... and other vague rules-questions) over time, instead of knowing everything all at once.

I believe Bill Macon questioned the propriety of this, but could be? we are supposed to discover little bits & pieces as we go, which maintains interest in the game, and provides the opportunity to solve these lingering dilemmas on the forum? smile.gif

Good Points,

I agree that there is a fine line between knowing too much, like the specific "formulas" for surrender, and not knowing enough (and they both have their consequences on game play).

I have noticed the same with test runs of Polish surrender, but haven't been able to draw many conclusions (but have lots of speculation, which I'll spare you). In short, "The number of units remaining" as an explanation doesn't quite seem to account for the variables (even in a general way).

Since surrender is such a pivotal point of the game, I think having a bit more information about it would be a good thing.

Salute!

1) If a country loses its capital(s) and still does not surrender, is there a probability of it surrendering each turn from then on...

Yes

2) In either case above, when calculating the value of remaining units for surrender, are all units equal...
Yes

3) If there is a probability of surrender, does it grow with time?
Nope

4) If a country loses its capital(s) and does not surrender at that point, is it assured of not surrendering so long as it does not lose another unit?
Nope

Hubert