I have waited years for a game like this. . .

When I was a youngster and Super Ted was only a twinkle in his Mom's eye, I got my first war game. Civil War Gettysburg. The board was not that big only a little bigger than a chess board. The fights I had with my brothers over who would get to play the Union side lasted longer than the actual game ! And it took me a long time to figure out why the few times I was allowed to play the Union side that the artillery pieces would come up missing! I am looking forward to playing SC against my brothers as they will not be able to steal my cardboard armies. :]

Originally posted by grifter151:

Reply to:

I got my start on the AH Bookcase games, "Richtoffen's War", and "Luftwaffe". Both were good games, but the counters were even better!!

I,ve never heard of "Luftwaffe", can you give a short description please?

If you are familiar with Talon Soft's Twelve O Clock High, it was similar to that, only 10 times better even for a board game...As mentioned the counter design was very well done of the individual aircraft...I think I'll do a bit of digging to see if I still have Luftwaffe. I do remember the first wargame I cut my teeth on, Avalon Hill's Kriegspiel. It would be considered a beer and pretzels game now but it sent me on my way...PanzerBlitz was my second game and I still recall the Kursk scenario as being my favorite...boy, we certainly are churning up some fond wargaming memories here aren't we... smile.gif

Originally posted by grifter151:

Reply to:

I got my start on the AH Bookcase games, "Richtoffen's War", and "Luftwaffe". Both were good games, but the counters were even better!!

I,ve never heard of "Luftwaffe", can you give a short description please?

I would suggest doing a search on google... I just did one on "Avalon Hill Luftwaffe Bookcase", and had lots of hits on the game. (I love google)

Here's a link from it that shows the game laid out:

http://hometown.aol.com/wergames/ahluft.htm

This one has a run down of the aircraft in the game:

http://pages.prodigy.net/davidkr/ah/luftwaffe.htm

Hmmm... seems a lot of these hits are people trying to sell the game. So, looks like you can pick it up, if you're into it.

The artwork on the counters was very detailed for each aircraft type.

Aloid

Originally posted by Marc:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by J Wagner:

Has anyone ever tackled SPI's War in the West and War in the East combined? The playing board was 7x7 feet and there were so many charts, you had to spread out, that you needed quite a bit of real estate to play the game. I had the map layed out for so long, that I was able to recreate Russian winters with the thick layers of dust that accumulated on the board... smile.gif

Actually it is out in computer form as well, called Computer War in Europe which makes it very playable, though there is NO AI with it. We even have a group to discuss it.

Marc</font>

I'm amazed how cheap the games are. I sold a bunch of old wargames 5 or 6 years ago - SPI's WW1 Quad, Korsun Pocket and some others I don't recall now - mainly SPI magazine games.

IIRC I was getting US$40-90 via straight "For sale" notices on Usenet groups for the biggies.

I guess the auction houses have made it easier to sell, so there's more supply!

Oh how I pine for a good game of 'Russian Campaign. That was a classic. I almost forgot about 'France '40'. My very first boardgame was 'Caesar Alesia' quickly followed by 'Third Reich'. Then there was 'Fortress Europa' and 'War and Peace', those were the days.

I started wargaming with Avalon Hill's original Squad Leader back in 1986. In college we moved on to Advanced Third Reich, and then the Japanese expansion. The rules proved too dense for me and gameplay ceased to be gameplay, turning into data mining. Often I knew exactly what I wanted to do but ended up failing because of some rules I had overlooked. The games ceased to be playable. I hope the PC will allow game designers to remove those frustrations from the players and return the focus of the game to playing and conducting strategy vs. rule debates and data mining. Thus I greatly look forward to Strategic Command in hoped to finally play again.

Have GREATLY enjoyed Combat Mission. PBEM is the saving grace for players who cannot devote the days of game time (lets the ball and chain deploy a ball and chain) to gaming.

O'k here's a little wargaming history for all you young'uns out thar'... :D

My first boardgame was Tactics II circa 1959.

By 1961 Avalon Hill had expanded its wargame line to include:

U-Boat: up to 3 subs v. 3 destroyers; lead ships on a large chessboard; much fun...

Civil War: grand strategy game, long forgotten even at the time it was published

Chancellorsville: still have this one

D-Day: destined to become one of the classics

Gettysburg: no hexs; really a mini miniatures game

Tactic II: the original game of military strategy

from the Chancellorsville box description:

"On this field, you thke your command. Your generalship, your skill and daring decide the outcome. ... (a) game designed for those who enjoy the thrills and excitement of all-skill, realistic games for adults. Always, to play an Avalon Hill game is an exhilarating challenge... to give one a subtle compliment."

:cool:

AH's "Hitler's War"

great game, nice clean rules, impossible to find people to play it with me. i always had to play the ever-popular "Axis and Allies." Which did actually have amazing plastic figures...