Attacking Greece?

poots

The two Greek Armies start off out of supply!

Move a tank unit or two around them and they're a giveaway. Be sure to get either a German or Italian HQ close to Athens.

Many people skip the north altogether and just land in the south, taking Athens and conquoring the country.

I've always preferred the overland method or a combination of the two.

Attacking Greece is one of the easiest Minors. The reason being you can hit it Athens from every side Amphibiously as Axis. Even Allies can hit it they choose and have the resources in place.

You want to send 2-3 Armies 1 German Corps. Surround the Greek elbow that sticks out so that you can land in 4 different hexes around the capitol. If you wish include a Italian battleship to bombard after the landing and have an extra corps on hand to take the city after the port is captured. I think once or twice every did I fail to take Athens with that setup in 100

Taking Greece is always easy becauase you know where the Greek armies will be placed and the Greeks never move their armies close to Athens (nor can they as they are out of supply), even if the Axis have attacked every other nation, they are always on the Frontier with Italy and Yugoslavia.

It would be more interesting if the game varied the starting positions of the Greek army units from game to game, possibly based on on which nations the Axis has previously attacked.

Example: If Axis attacked Vichy and Spain then 30% one army is withdrawn from the border to protect Athens or both Armies are withdrawn to Athens and the Corps sent to guard the Border with Yugoslavia and Albania.

Example: If Turkey Allies with Germany then 90% All Greek Armies are withdrawn to protect Athens and Greece mobilizes an extra half strength corps.

[ March 24, 2004, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]