Hubert: tcp/ip implementation

sogard

Hubert has mentioned in several folders that he is working on implementing tcp/ip for STRATEGIC COMMAND. I think that this is great and will be a great bonus to the game. At present, most of my games are being played hotseat and I prefer the immediate impact of either hotseat or tcp/ip over the slower process of pbem (although I will grant you that pbem can be satisfying as well). Anyway, Hubert, could you update us on how the tcp/ip implementation for the game is coming along? Just curious as to a heads up on when it might be available (and I promise NOT to hold you to any time frame you provide). smile.gif

For those of us who have recently emerged, blinking & scratching from out of The Dark Ages (and somewhat aghast at all the edgy oddness going on in this Strange New World) would someone be kind enough to explain how this system will work?

For instance, do you have to pay Xtra $$$ for this privilege? Or is it similar to PBEM and you hook up with another player as per normal, only without mail delays? What's the story, morning glories? smile.gif

Originally posted by Immer Etwas:

For those of us who have recently emerged, blinking & scratching from out of The Dark Ages (and somewhat aghast at all the edgy oddness going on in this Strange New World) would someone be kind enough to explain how this system will work?

For instance, do you have to pay Xtra $$$ for this privilege? Or is it similar to PBEM and you hook up with another player as per normal, only without mail delays? What's the story, morning glories? smile.gif

tcp/ip is a rather common feature in many computer games these days. It is a protocol which permits play of the game by, in this instance, both players at the same time while online. Unless one is playing the game on a pay site, there is no additional cost. What it would permit is the ability to play STRATEGIC COMMAND as if you were playing the game hotseat except that the players would be using two computers connected via the internet. It would allow a game to be played in a much shorter time. Most tcp/ip games permit the game to be saved and resumed at a later time. I do not know what our gifted and gracious designer/programmer for STRATEGIC COMMAND is planning; but, I assume that it is in line with what I have laid out.

As originally posted by sogard:

I do not know what our gifted and gracious designer/programmer for STRATEGIC COMMAND is planning; but, I assume that it is in line with what I have laid out.

sogard, you have explained it so succinctly that even I can understand. I was beginning to wonder if any -- of all of our multitudinous and ordinarily gushing-loquacious board brethren -- knew what this truly odd concept -- tcp/ip, was about.

Well, now I -- and those few other old-school sorts also know, and for that we are grateful.

Since H is a dedicated gamer himself, I trust that he will find a sure & certain solution. smile.gif