Excellent Customer Service from Fury

I just wanted to take a minute to thank Hubert for the inclusion of the PBEM playback feature. I posted several times in favor of this option and it seems only fair to spend a minute thanking Mr Cater. I understand that there will always be requests for game features and that they can not always be answered. The willingness of Hubert to listen and implement a much sought change is a great indicator of concern for the consumers interest.

Thanks Hubert! You are the MAN!!

Now, if you would only rethink that diplomacy aspect! ;)

I agree. Even if he hadn't included it, I have to give him credit for even bothering to debate the issue (among dozens of others) with this ungrateful mob. ;)

Edit: this is in stark contrast with other game forums (fora?) that I've read, most notably SSI.

[ June 06, 2002, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: Mannheim Tanker ]

Ungrateful mob? Who's he talking about fellas? tongue.gif

Seriously, Hubert's done a fine job with SC. At risk of dating myself, I've probably been playing Third Reich since before he was born, so I've had a LOT of time to think about the good, the bad, and the ugly game design issues relevant to this scale. Others are die-hard Clash of Steel fans, World in Flames grognards, or just Axis&Allies veterans looking for a fun game. So there are a lot of expectations to satisfy.

This is a beta demo, which means Hubert is officially asking for feedback to verify if his design decisions are on the mark for most customers or if changes are warranted. Hollow praise will not move this game from good to great. Constructive criticism will - by pointing out what needs improvement, why, and possibly how.

So expect to see more whining and complaining for improvements from us and continued excellent support from Hubert, because we all care. smile.gif

Originally posted by Bill Macon:

.......Hollow praise will not move this game from good to great. Constructive criticism will -

My praise was not hollow but direct and specific. I would also have you note that I could not wait for even a different post from the first to add my wish for diplomacy. smile.gif

Originally posted by BloodyBucket:

Demo, good.

Gold demo, better.

Bring on the gold demo, so we can nitpick something new! Can't wait to see what tweaks are in there, wonder if any that were not requested in the forum have been added?

BB,

In a word: "Yes." ;)

Stormbringer, I was making a general comment and not trying to argue with your valid statements. Sorry for any confusion there. SC does have a lot of great features. There have been several posts over past few weeks praising the game and indicating everything is fine the way it is, but feedback is important - even if it appears as criticism.

As a game, SC is fun and plays well, but so is Command and Conquer. As a WWII strategy game, however, there's room for improvement to make it more realistic as a simulation. I can always play a fantasy game for fun and not worry about abstractions which don't make perfect sense. It is much more difficult to enjoy a simulation game where results deviate significantly from the historical record. That's where I'm coming from. I believe SC can be made somewhat more realistic without significantly changing the game or making it more complicated.

As originally posted by Bill Macon:

SC does have a lot of great features. There have been several posts over past few weeks praising the game and indicating everything is fine the way it is, but feedback is important - even if it appears as criticism.

I too would much prefer that SC-ET more closely resemble A3R than Axis & Allies, but I am only one of myriad many.

Likely the target audience is 25-50,000 more or less dedicated war-gamers, PLUS PLUS! an indeterminate number who might be intrigued by a FUN WWII-genre game, as happened with Panzer General.

My guess is that Hubert will implement those things that seamlessly fit his original concept. And many of those will be changes that he was ALREADY contemplating. All of our input may have helped sway his mind in a few areas.

I would disagree, however, that those who came to praise Caesar are MERELY happy with "things as they are." The great majority have also -- at one time or another, asked for their very own favorite concepts.

Now, SuperTed has confirmed that there will be aspects included that haven't even been discussed, which is hardly surprising, since beta-testing has provided FULL-LENGTH-game kinds of insights.

So, to sum it up -- LET'S HAVE IT! (... two years can be a long long time to the game-maker) and then we'll see. smile.gif

[ June 07, 2002, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: Immer Etwas ]