Holding on to France until October?

BRO, JD

I just gave the demo a whirl (basic settings, Fog of War) as the Allies. I just wanted to get a feel for the gameplay, so I didn't do anything special except defend and reinforce my units. I pumped all of my British MPPs into research and all of my French MPPs into reinforcing my infantry units.

It took the Germans two weeks to capture the Low Countries, but they did not capture Paris until October. The AI was not aggressive at all.

Has anyone else had a German AI dawdle like this, or has it been a formidable opponent in France?

Beginner +0 doesn't work when you play the Allies against the AI. You have to give the Axis +1. Scorched Earth has to be put off, too. Raising the difficulty level by 1 (giving them more MPPs in plundering) is also a good idea, and probably mandatory for the full game. I found that experience +2 is no fun because then you tend to loose most encounters regardless of the tactics you employ (which is just frustrating).

USSR neutral is another thing to consider when you play the Allies (the ultimate challenge is USA neutral in addition). The downsides of these latter options is that they take away the nice suspense provided by the "randomness" of entry. USA neutral will also lead to a very ahistorical game.

Removing the Free French and the partisans helps the Axis, too, but I don't like these options turned off because partisans are fun. The options menu definitely lacks options which help the Axis in the first place (like "Swedish ore", "Axis liberation politics" etc).

Straha

[ July 21, 2002, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: Straha ]

Originally posted by Straha:

Raising the difficulty level by 1 (giving them more MPPs in plundering) is also a good idea, and probably mandatory for the full game.

I agree! As a beta tester I have played this game countless times and giving the Axis AI a +1/+1 usually results in a fun game. If you want a slightly tougher game, set difficulty to "Expert" (leave AI experience bonus at +1).

Cheers!

Hawk