Tech Playbalancing?

Wolfpack

Question here for Hubert. I've played a couple of long campaigns now, and it seems that whenever one side is getting to the point where they're in trouble they start getting tech advances out the wazoo. For instance in the last game I played as the allies Expert +2 and just sat in place to see what kind of things the computer did. I did invest in tech some. Put 1 point in 3 techs for the Brits, 1 point in 2 techs for the Soviets and 1 points in 4 areas for the Americans. As soon as the Russians lost a bunch of territory I started getting a lot of techs, including 2 turns where I got everything I had invested in. Mind you, this was 1 point investments in all of those and I got 9 techs in 1 turn twice. The chances of that are so small as to be laughable.

As a side note, playing with FOW off, the biggest problem I see with the AI is with naval invasions. The AI needs to learn to leave troopships in a "holding pattern" for a turn or two until they can hit with decent strength. As it is, they get about 4 or 5 units in the water and immediately move them to the coast, which is too easy for me to fight off, where if they waited a turn until they had a large number available, they could swamp my defenses and make Nnaval invasions something I worried about rather than just an opportunity for me to kill a bunch of enemy units cheap.

[ August 07, 2002, 12:25 AM: Message edited by: Wolfpack ]

Question here for Hubert. I've played a couple of long campaigns now, and it seems that whenever one side is getting to the point where they're in trouble they start getting tech advances out the wazoo.
Nope, no special coding here, my guess is that it is related to the "pre-patch" random number seed bug. See below for more.

As soon as the Russians lost a bunch of territory I started getting a lot of techs, including 2 turns where I got everything I had invested in. Mind you, this was 1 point investments in all of those and I got 9 techs in 1 turn twice.
There was a bug that whenever the random number generator received a starting seed value of '0' all research categories would get a 'hit'. This has been adjusted accordingly and part of the v1.02 patch.

As a side note, playing with FOW off, the biggest problem I see with the AI is with naval invasions. The AI needs to learn to leave troopships in a "holding pattern" for a turn or two until they can hit with decent strength. As it is, they get about 4 or 5 units in the water and immediately move them to the coast, which is too easy for me to fight off, where if they waited a turn until they had a large number available, they could swamp my defenses and make Nnaval invasions something I worried about rather than just an opportunity for me to kill a bunch of enemy units cheap.
Very interesting point, something to consider for sure!

Hubert

No problems, give me another hour or so ;)

If you have yet to go to v1.02, it fixes the issues I described as well as a few others. You can grab it here:

http://www.battlefront.com/products/stratcom/download.html

Don't forget to delete all the files in your SAVE and PBEM directory as the pre-patch save games are not compatible with the v1.02 patch.

Happy gaming!

Hubert

yes, i have also encountered the "half-hearted invasion syndrome" while playing the axis

i was busy in russia, so busy that france was garrisoned by maybe 2 corps, so in early 42 the allies attempted to land in france

they got about 5 units on shore, which i quickly contained by expeditious rail movement from the east

they failed to take brest, and so the invasion was doomed as i mopped up the last allied units

however, for the next two years the allies would continously try to invade france

they would build 2 or 3 units and send them to the coast. i would block their landing by moving corps up to the shore, and then the allies would send the transports over to the opposite coast next turn, while i marched my corps there to prevent any landing there as well

the allies were losing about 2 units a turn due to my air and sub activity, and they never managed to land more than one unit in france again, but it was not for lack of trying. i thought that maybe they would hang out a little bit, create a large force, and then try again in scale, but for the next two years they sent over 2 or 3 (max 4) units, which were quite easily dealt with