New Unit Symbols Mod for Beta Demo

Sgt Eagle

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Sgt Eagle:

Jorgen,

Your symbols mod is simply a Xerox copy of my original one, and a less realistic one at that.

The only thing I used from your mod was the colour(I liked them), nothing else. I have drawed the rest by my own hands.

If something is unrealistic, I'd be happy to change that. Be so kind to point out the flaws.

[ June 18, 2002, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: Jorgen_Cab ]

Well, let's see.

1. The symbols you use to signify a better type of unit (the dots going down the side) do not mean anything in actual symbology.

2. You use the symbol for a Fighter-Bomber for the Strategic Bombers.

3. You use an Independent Air Force symbol for Fighters and Army Air Force symbol for bombers. A country has only one or the other.

Keep in mind, NONE of these inaccuracies are in mine.

Ok, I will fix these things as soon as I can, I apreciate your input, I'm no expert in military symbols and had no time researching it.

The dots on the left are not meant to be historical in any way, just a way to easily identify wich tech level the unit belongs to.

Something more like this perhaps...

Airunits.jpg

[ June 18, 2002, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: Jorgen_Cab ]

I used the same colours, the rest I've done myself. All icons are standard military symbols, and there are not in so many ways you can do it. I just addad a little cleaner look, and highlight to get a little 3d effect.

[ June 20, 2002, 09:28 AM: Message edited by: Jorgen_Cab ]

Jorgen's sprites look really good. The subs need some customizing, but that's easy.

I'm wondering why some unit types have multiple sprites for showing upgrades while others do not, like the fleets and subs. Maybe Hubert can expand the sprites to include ship upgrades, so we can add dots and/or different silhouettes?

Both mods that I have tried were both (Sgt Eagle and Jorgen) very good.

Thanks for the effort. Some constructive feedback.

A) Its very difficult to tell the Army and Corp chits apart. The tiny xxxx above the military symbol does not stand out enough to distinguish the units apart.

B) I like the idea of the Flag on the Headqtr unit representing the country. Needs to be larger if possible.

Thanks again ;)

[ June 21, 2002, 07:57 PM: Message edited by: waynef ]

This is not a mod issue, but I just wanted everyone to know that SuperTed was nice enough to allow me to post his great AAR's on my site. If you haven't seen them yet, they are a great description of an ongoing game from an experienced Beta Tester.

Check 'em out at the link below, great work SuperTed!! :D